Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need help with door locks

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:28 AM
donnyv
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with door locks

I have a 2004.5 CTD 2500. The driver side door's lock is stuck. I push the unlock button for the doors and all but the driver's door will unlock. I pull up on the manual lock and it barely moves and goes back to the lock postion when I let go. I put the key in the only keyhole to unlock but it barely turns and still won't unlock. Finally I pull on the inside door handle lever and it will open but the lock will go back down as soon as I release the lever.

Other than that the truck is running great with a normal maintainance schedule. 115,000 miles and going strong.

Any help on the door issue would be great.

Thanks everyone for all your advice thus far. This forum has been very helpful.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
brettj2408
Captain

take off the door panel. its fairly easy unbolt all the philips head screws out of the door. either 2 or 3 of them, cant remember exactly (carefully some might be hidden) then lift up on the whole door panel and pull out as well. then it will disconnect from the door. Look under it and there will be a little plastic clip that your lock release hooks to and it probably needs lube on the pivot point or to be manually released due to it being stuck or bent.
let us know if you have anymore questions

Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 AM
donnyv
Default I still didn't get it right

Alright, I pulled the door panel off and took a look. With a small mirror I was able to locate the plastic clip tucked in there. It was not moving very much so I tried to pull it loose. Being late in the day and losing daylight I had to stop and put it back together after 30 min of messing with it. I did not want to snap the piece off by pulling too hard, so it didn't release or go back to the original position.

I'll have to give it another shot when I get a chance this week.

Any tips on how to get it to work? There is not much space to get in there and really work on it without tearing more of the door apart.

Thanks again

Old 06-23-2010, 10:13 AM
brettj2408
Captain

if you take the door panel off its a lot easier to look at it. just navigate it off avoiding the pull handle (to open the door) and the lock pin at the top of the door and the plastic clip for the handle.
just gently pry and you wont break anything any questions just go ahead and ask

Quick Reply: Need help with door locks