Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Lift Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:06 AM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Pump?

Lately I've had power loss, and when I jerked my wheel to the left I'd have a sudden loss of even more power...I recently changed my fuel filter today and when I went to bleed the injectors, nothing came out at all...even cranking on it didnt change anything. I took the line off of the separator that came from the lift pump and cranked it over a few more times and theres no fuel coming from the lift pump to the separator where the drain is.

Does anyone have any recommendations for easy-install replacements for this? And also, I know theres probably already damage done to the VP44 but if I get this part in soon, it might save it.....?? The truck's DOA for now, sitting in the driveway. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
miknwv
Veteran

Okay, I replaced the lift pump and that's what the problem was......now I can't get the damn thing to start. I primed the fuel filter canister and its full, i bled off injectors 1 and 3 and had diesel blowing out (which is the first time its ever done that, the last time i changed my fuel filter it was just a trickle)..... so other than cracking the injectors, bumping the starter, etc, are there any other tips or tricks or anything else I need to know to get this thing started?

One of my friends sprayed K&N spray oil into the air intake and it turned over a couple of times like it was gonna run then stopped......I don't want to keep doing what I've been doing because I dont' wanna burn my starter or the new pump up.

ANY IDEAS???? I'm at the end of my rope. My wife's van caught fire and burnt completely to the ground yesterday so I went to get the truck to haul it back but before hauling it back i wanted to change the fuel filter....and thats when the lift pump died.

any help at all would be greatly appreciated.... im in a really bad situation with the van and my truck down, the only thing i have to get around on is my bike and i cant take the family out with me on it....

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
miknwv
Veteran

sorry to triple post but just for reference, changing the lift pump on the 99 dodge 24 valve was a piece of cake, and im not really that mechanically inclined

Old 06-25-2010, 06:48 PM
miknwv
Veteran

well, I guess this USED to be the place where people got help with Dodges... i finally got it myself after calling cummins crosspoint

Old 06-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Atomic Punk
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it going, sorry no one was able to post in time to help you out. Why don't you post the solution to your problem in case some one else comes across the same thing. I work on a fleet of about 100 trucks and have to replace a lift pump about once or twice a month, and yes your right, it is quite simple, I have gotten it down to about 10 15 minutes

Old 06-26-2010, 11:33 PM
miknwv
Veteran

Well, the lift pump was easy to replace and I got it primed up and it runs great. I still have a problem though...... after shutting the truck down, within 2 minutes it loses prime and I have to rebleed injectors 1 and 3 to get it started again. I've made sure the input and output lines on the injector pump are tight and the input and output lines on the fuel filter canister are tight but there must be a leak somewhere.....are there any special gaskets that are supposed to go on any of these banjo fittings? If so, do they go on each side of the bolt, only on top, or only on bottom?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Atomic Punk

there are little washers that go on both sides of the banjo fittings. 2 washer per each banjo fitting. You are correct, you have a leak somewhere if you are loosing prime that quick

Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
miknwv
Veteran

I'm wondering if I need to put a check valve in the fuel line between the fuel tank and the new lift pump? If so, where could I find such a check valve?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Atomic Punk

Why would you put a check valve? If you seal all the leaks it will hold the fuel and there would be no need. It is just like a straw in a soda, if you put your finger over the top of the straw, the soda will stay in the straw. As soon as you let a little air in all the soda will run back into the glass. Stop the air and you will solve the problem

Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 AM
miknwv
Veteran

well, we got it running last night and for a day it started right up several times today without having to prime....but tonite it lost prime once and I had to crack injector 1 open to start it...so i've ordered the check valve for the VP44 that goes into the side of the engine and Im gonna replace it and see what happens....wish me luck

Quick Reply: Lift Pump?