Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Right Front U-Joing

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:46 PM
bigwinck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Front U-Joing

I have an 03 2300 4X4 with a bad right front U-Joint. I downloaded instructions on removal and had no luck removing the hub's. I called the local dealer and one of the local shops and I am being told that it will cost about $225 to do. Now mind you I spent 6 hours with the same tools and was unable to get it done. Does this sound right?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
brettj2408
Captain

Its fairly easy. Did you end up getting the axle out you just cant get the u joint out of the axle shaft?

If not here is what you will need to do to get the axle out to work freely on the u-joint.
1. Remove the caliper, rotor, and wheel speed sensor
2. Remove the cotter pin nut and washer
3. There are 4 bolt that hold the hub on the backside of the knuckle. Remove all 4.
4. Remove the hub from the steering knuckle
5. Then pull out the axle shaft so you can set it lightly in a vise grip on a bench for ease of getting the u joint out.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:55 PM
bigwinck

Did all that, was unable to get the hub to come free. I even did like the book says and backed the bolts out a quarter turn and use an air hammer. I just go fed up and put it all back together. I got the quotes and to be honest I dont think that i what its going to actually cost.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 PM
brettj2408
Captain

what you can do it loosen the bolts fairly good and while they are loose put the wheel back on the hub and kick the tire/wheel to use the advantage of more leverage and everntually it will break free.
do you get what im saying? i couldnt word it quite right

Quick Reply: Right Front U-Joing