Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2 questions-poor fuel milage/throttle hangs

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 AM
hounds
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '01 started to do the EXACT same thing and I'm getting a code for APPS. (Accelerator Pedal position sensor).
ALso I'm getting sputtering and running very rough at idle and gets better with higher RPM's. Not sure if this is part of the same problem or not?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM
cfd303
Professional

Originally Posted by hounds
My '01 started to do the EXACT same thing and I'm getting a code for APPS. (Accelerator Pedal position sensor).
ALso I'm getting sputtering and running very rough at idle and gets better with higher RPM's. Not sure if this is part of the same problem or not?

I had it into a Performac Diesel shop last week and they thought the same thing until they did the diag and everything is coming back within the parameters. But they did notice excessive smoke. What they are thinking is either the last owner replaced the injectors with larger ones or they are one or more on the way out. I talked to the prior owner and he said he did nothing to the engine. So that is leading me to the injectors. BUMMER

Looks like i am going have to save up ALOT of money. And get them replaced.

Thanks to all. Once I have it done i will update on what they find.

I forgot to add the biggest thing with the truck it seems to run smooth at all times. No hesitation.

Last edited by cfd303; 07-27-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Oh Yeah
Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
cfd303
Professional
Thumbs up UPDATE 2 questions-poor fuel milage/throttle hangs

Well I finally took the truck in for service. The shop removed the injectors and everything looked fine with valves and springs. They sent in the injectors out for testing and sure enough one of them was bad. They are to have them back tomorrow and I should be able to pick up my truck tomorrow afternoon.

I can't wait to try it out. I will let you know.

Thanks for all of your help.

A

Old 08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
cfd303
Professional
Angry Still no improvement after injector repairs!!!!

Well good but bad news. The mech shop removed and sent in the injectors for testing. 5 out of the six came back in good shape. Number 4 injector had a high return. It was rebuilt and everything reinstalled. Made the first pull with the trailer and no improvement.

It still smokes, espically when accelerating from a stop. When the truck is first started after sitting a while it smokes (looks blueish). I followed my wife when we picked up the truck and there is a small amount of smoke. I wish i knew how to put a video on this site so you can see what I see.

The mech shop said they don't know what else it could be. I could just spit!!

I unplugged the Edge Mileage Max but it still does it. I don't know what else to do. I cant believe this truck only get 9mpg pulling a 5k trailer.

I NEED HELP AND IM OUT OF MONEY!!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 PM
cfd303
Professional
Exclamation Update and more ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

Originally Posted by cfd303
I am getting very poor fuel milage and looking for input. While pulling a 20ft enclosed trailer at average speed of 60mph w/o cruise I can only get 9.5mpg. The only mods are a 5" exhaust from turbo to tail, K&N Cold Air, and Mileage Max Chip. I have since disconnected the Mileage Max to see if that improves anything. So far no improvment with the gpm. W/o the trailer I can get around 14mpg. The funny thing is when I am towing the computer shows 14.5 and when empty it shows 27mpg. I know they are typically 2-3 mpg off but wow...

I also notice when you accelerate (sit and rev the engine in park) the throttle has a slow response in returning to idle. That does not seem normal.

Any ideas would be great. I have already changed the fuel filter.

I should include it is a 2006 Ram w/5.9L diesel, quad cab, 4x4, short box, OEM tires, no bug shields, no cab visor, and 125,000 miles.
Thanks
Well I got the truck back and the shop found 1 bad injector, rebuilt and installed. Made the first pull and no changes. Still get 8.5 towing and 13 driving. The dash shows 15-16 while towing and 20-21 driving.

Now here are more issues.

1. the turn signals will work intermintantly.
2. air bag light will come on and turn off
3. when i first start the truck the voltage gauge will drop sharply from 14 volts to under 12 then go back, this happens twice and then it seems normal.
4. took to automotive store and they found a code U1403 Fuel Level Signal Received.

I looked a little bit on this website and found it is tied with the PCM? And there may be a short or open circuit. A

Can anyone give me an idea where to look to trouble shoot this or is the PCM taking a poo?

THIS truck is really upsetting me, now i know why the guy traded it off

Old 09-21-2010, 03:07 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the voltage thing is normal, that is the grid heater cycling

Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM
brettj2408
Captain

what kind of fuel filter did you recently put into it? i buy boxes in bulk and 1 of my filters had 1,200 miles on it and seems like it wasnt made right at the factory and was giving me a fuel delivery fault.
maybe pull it and check it again. maybe even try another.
could be many things otherwise.
high return on more than one injector you can do a injector return test, lift pump test, etc

Quick Reply: 2 questions-poor fuel milage/throttle hangs