Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

99 ram with an ac problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:19 AM
beefythedodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ram with an ac problem...

Hey all, new to the forum. After borrowing an 99 ram cummins 8 months ago to move, i fell in love with it, and just last saturday i bought it. Totally stoked with my new truck, just tired of sweating in er already, hoping somebody may have an answer for me.

My ac compressor was kicking on and off after a recharge, after ruling out wiring/electical problems i hard wired the hot lead to a toggle to verify it wasnt a compressor problem. It wasnt, the high pressure line immediately frosted up. Thought for sure my orifice tube was clogged, so 3 bucks later i had a new one. Pulled off the liquid line, and there is no orifice tube!! so this brings me to my question, where is the orifice tube located? Any info would be greatly appreciated as i live in florida and it is super friggin hott! thanx in advance!

Old 07-03-2010, 06:20 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran

jeez 20 something views and no-ones got anything? uh-oh. well i am gonna go dig into er and see what i can make happen. i will let you know if i find anything good.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 PM
brettj2408
Captain

it is serviced as a liquid line. the orfice tube is built in.. i take you felt your lines and made sure 1 was hot and one was cold? they both shouldnt be cold or both shouldnt be hot.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM
beefythedodge
Veteran

the high pressure line frezzes up immediately, and i did not run it long enough to allow the low pressure line to warm up. could tell something wasnt right. about to go now to hook it up to my buddys vacume to truly purge the lines, maybe there was just some residual water vapor.

i think that it is strange though that you can buy both a stand alone orifice tube, or the whole liquid line. why sell a stand alone if its friggin useless. i dont get it

Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 AM
beefythedodge
Veteran

well we purged the lines and then recharged and ive got ac!!

now i can move on to the fun stuff!

Quick Reply: 99 ram with an ac problem...