Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2008 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 PM
goulding.c
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 problems

Hi guys! I'm new here looking for advice, Both my companies have had dodge deisels for years now. I bought a 2008 2 years ago for my family cruiser. Mega cab, sure it does not pull our back hoe every day, but it pulls a load every couple of weeks, or our boat to a the lake for 9 hours several times a year. I am getting codes like crazy, engine surgies, and stalls, and not much dealer help with 45K miles. I am told that if not worked hard enough the egr gets soated up and must be cleaned??? I looked into it, should I try this next? It got a recall 2 weeks ago for regen mods, and the next day the yellow light came on it started surging as I went up a hill. I am leaving to take the kids and boat on a 9 hour trip in a week, and the truck is starting to scare me. During plowing in the winter it would auto regen a lot at our sites, I'm guessing from ther back and forth and not running hard. Can anyone give me some advice here??? Or does anyone own a really nice mega cab before the 6.7 came out and want to trade????

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

everything should be covered by the dealer/warrenty, and if it came on after they worked on it, chances are its something they did and its there problem, make them fix it

Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 PM
boxerdiesel
Rookie

if it was the egr that needed to be cleaned u would most likely get a "perform service" message on your over head. if you have that it may be causing some of your problems but just to warn you the cleaning of the egr system is only covered under warranty in some states and is very expensive. mine had the same code/surging problem once and it just needed the computer flashed. bring it to dealer let them do recall and see if that cures it.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 AM
goulding.c

They did the recal 2 or 3 weeks ago. That is when I started having the surging and stalling problems. They told me that the truck will now regen when ever it wants regardless, of it being in park or on the highway. And the top consol will not warn you of a regen coming now. They said that is why the truck started to surge forward while I was at a stop light, because the regen was trying to turn the motor up????? I thought that was very odd, that they could re program a truck to take off like that, ecspecially after all the toyota stuff going on.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:07 PM
goulding.c

Well add me to the list of peopple getting new turbos. My wife dropped off the truck two days ago, and watched 3 others get towed in while she was there. They called today and said the code is a bad comunication from turbo or somthing and they were going to replace it. Only problem is we leave for 10 hour family vacation next wed towing a boat. And the turbo is nationwide back order!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
RLAwyo

How many miles are on the trucks that this is happening to? I am looking at an 08, 19,000 miles, and I did the carfax, which has one recall notice that hasn't been addressed. I wonder if it is this problem.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 AM
goulding.c

All less than 50k. Mine has about 45K on it. They even told me at the dealer that the 07 and 08 have tons of issues witht he new exhaust systems. The turbo going back in has been re designed twice supoosidly. I have an 09 with 5k miles on it and no troubles yet.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM
Rev800

What codes were you throwing?

Have you cleaned your MAP sensor?

My truck was at the dealer 6 times prior to the DPF falling off and hasn't been back since, best money I ever spent.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rev800
prior to the dpf "falling off"
lol!

Quick Reply: 2008 problems