Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

1991 2500 Diesel has clacking noise when hauling

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:33 AM
remmett
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 2500 Diesel has clacking noise when hauling

This is an automatic, 4x4 extended cab. I picked up 1 1/2 yards of fill soil; on any uphill it clacks loudly until it levels out or goes downhill. My son took it 140 miles with no load and had no problems. Transmission, oil and steering fluids are all normal.
Has anyone else had a similar experience? I don't want to drive it until it's fixed...

Old 08-01-2010, 01:37 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Let me move this to the diesel section for you. They'll be able to provide more help.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:25 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these trucks make so many noises, its hard to say what it could be, your best bet would be to try and get a video/sound clip and post it so we can get a better idea of what it may be

Old 08-01-2010, 04:06 PM
remmett

Further info: There is no noise when the truck is stopped and revved, only when going uphill pulling a load; if I let up on the gas, the noise stops. It is a loud clanking sound which sounds as if the engine has thrown a rod, which it probably hasn't, since it only manifests itself under a heavy load going uphill.

Thanks for your input...if it is an exhaust leak, is there harm in driving it as long as there isn't a load? [My wife (she who must be obeyed ) wants to take it to drop off some furniture 60 miles away.]

I'm going to have the noise diagnosed next week...but I wanted some suggestions as to the cause so that I wouldn't be taken for a ride.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it could be an exhaust leak, driving it wont hurt anything, but its not good either, the other thing that comes to mind is the torque converter bolts or flywheel bolts coming loose, or even a cracked flexplate can do thoes things to, check for any black residue around the exhaust ports, or broken exhaust manifold bolts to diagnose an exhaust leak

Old 08-03-2010, 12:06 AM
remmett

Prior to taking the truck in today, I nosed around the exhaust manifold, looking for an indication of what the trouble might be. All the exhaust manifold's bolts were fine...except the lower one furtherest away from the front; it was just hanging loosely by a thread, literally. It fell into my hand when I touched it.. It wasn't broken, just somehow came completely unscrewed. How does that happen? I re-tightened all the bolts with a torque wrench and cancelled my appointment.

Thanks for your insight. It showed me what to look for. Happy trucking.

Quick Reply: 1991 2500 Diesel has clacking noise when hauling