Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Towing With 6 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010 | 08:09 PM
tylerhudson01
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing With 6 Speed

Getting ready to do some towing and had some questions. Recently put a new stock clutch in and looking to pull a gooseneck trailer weighing about 15,000 to 20,000 lbs loaded. Few hills but no mountains , all highway. Speeds of 65 to 75. Do i want to pull in 6th gear or not? What kind of rpms do I want to be at in 5th or 6th? All my truck info is in my signature. Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-20-2010 | 09:22 PM
Sooner

Holy smokes! I'm new to the forum and haven't had a chance to gauge how much folks can "get away with" towing. I know there are some commercial Hot Shot drivers who push the limits. The recommended tongue weight for a goose neck trailer is around 25%. A 15K trailer with 25% tongue weight will put you at 3,750 lbs which will probably exceed your payload and overload the suspension. You'd need to run the trailer load toward the rear to drop that down considerably. But, I think 15K trailer weight is higher than any 3/4 ton towing capacity I know of. I think 20K will leave your newly installed clutch scattered on the pavement and your brakes screaming uncle without some outstanding trailer brakes to help slow that beast down. I may be corrected. But otherwise, I would reconsider that load.

Last edited by Sooner; 08-20-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2010 | 12:36 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have pulled alot of load heaver than that with a 2500, but like said, you need good trailer brakes capeable of the load and way too much tounge weight can have some very bad affects when trying to steer, a stock engine and clutch will handel it, just be carefull on the starts not to slip it too much, pulling in 5th is always easier on everything, but on flat ground, 6th will be fine at the hwy speeds

Old 08-25-2010 | 06:31 PM
tylerhudson01
|

Thanks 75 , From the first reply I thought maybe Sooner was thinking I owned a Ford! I have good brakes on my trailer and have a Prodigy 90185 brake controller so I think I have the stopping power. I just wasnt real sure about pulling with the 6 speed. Thanks

Quick Reply: Towing With 6 Speed