Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission Leaked while hauling

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010 | 12:01 PM
BigbadMagnum99
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Leaked while hauling

Give you some history....2004 CTD Laramie 4x4 with 240K Km's. 48RE tranny

3 weeks ago I got my Tranny fully drained and flushed before I started towing our 7000lb travel trailer. It was shifting great and felt like new! I have been **** about tranny fluid changes every 50K km's or hard towing seasons I would change out the fluid and filter.

Well, on our way home last weekend I got behind some really slow poke people and was climbing a very steep hill on the Columbia Icefields and I noticed I was slowly overheating as we climbed up and when I hit 235F on my Temp gauge I finally could pull out safely and let my truck idle down to cool off. This was the first time it overheated.

As I got out I noticed my Tranny had puked out some tranny fluid and my crankcase breather was puking oil but as it cooled off and checking every 50km's I was not dripping anymore fluid and my engine was not overheating which I think was the brutal steep hill climb. Over the last few days I have check my Tranny Fluid levels and it seems it has not dropped at all and no drips below my truck.

My question would I have blown a Front Seal to cause the leak when my motor overheated or does the 48RE tranny have a breather that puked out the tranny fluid when the engine overheated?

The fluid is still bright red and no burnt smell.

The last few days the shifting from 1-2nd gear is a little rough when cold but gets better as it warms up. Would I have cooked the Solinoid on my last pull?

Thanks,

Mike B

Old 08-23-2010 | 12:12 PM
1badRam06

When your truck is cold, does it "shuttle shift"? For example, does it shift back down to first after you have already gone into 2nd?

Old 08-23-2010 | 04:14 PM
BigbadMagnum99
|

Originally Posted by 1badRam06
When your truck is cold, does it "shuttle shift"? For example, does it shift back down to first after you have already gone into 2nd?
Yes, it does shuttle shift, It will shift to 2nd then drop back down to 1st for a split second and then bounce back to 2nd gear and then it will be fine. This is the first time my truck has done this. It was shifting great from day 1 until now.

Quick Reply: Transmission Leaked while hauling