Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:28 AM
jkoons
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bags

We have an 02 Ram3500 dually with B&W goose neck hitch,can the Firestone RideRite airbag be installed? When the 5er is on puts us just above the overloads,makes for a rough ride at times. Hopefully someone has been there and done that. Thanks Jerry

Old 10-06-2010, 03:44 PM
dasnake
Veteran
Default my thoughts

i'm not sure on your question, the bags can be, and are made for all trucks. i have an '07 dually that i have the bags on. when you say it rides just over the overload then i surmise you mean the single leaf overload spring. from what i have found with mine the bag will not soften the ride if the weight is not enough to weigh down the single spring. i carry a 4000 lb, 10' camper on my truck and i put in the 5000 lb ride rite bags, i took out the single leaf overload and put in a four spring 2500 lb leaf setup, i then put in a 1" sway bar, when there is no weight it feels like a hardtail, but when the camper is on the drive is fine.
i also found that just using the bags the top sway was quite noticeable but lowering the pressure and using the overloads the sway is almost gone, if i haven't helped you, please rephrase your question and maybe i can be a bit more exact.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:28 PM
jkoons

My 5er isn't heavy enough to put truck down on the overloads but about half inch above,when hitting uneven road rear of truck tends to bounce off of overload spring,thought maybe airbag would raise truck up a little. B&W hitch mounts on the outside of frame above the axle where airbags will mount. Thanks Jerry

Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 PM
dasnake
Veteran
Default gotcha

ok now i see what you mean, in my opinion the bags can be pressured to keep them where you want, and with the lighter weight of your fiver they should not cause you a problem with sway, let us know how it works when you install them

Quick Reply: Air Bags