Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2006 5.9 No Power, Rough Running

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Gambit80
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 5.9 No Power, Rough Running

Alright guys, leaning on you folks for some insight. Been a lurker here for a long time, so I know you guys know your stuff.

Recently purchasd an 06 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9. Been running great for over a month. On the way to a friends house tonight, running about 45 mph, it throughs up the check engine light. Begins to run rough and have no power. Any ideas? Any thoughts on what to check.

I am a diesel newb and would like to maybe have some sort of an idea before I take it to the shop.

Thanks, guys!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 PM
ecwrestoration@yahoo.com
Professional

Turn key on/off three times, see if you got any codes. If so someone here can help!

Old 10-10-2010, 09:22 AM
krsmitty
Amateur

Last time fuel filter was replaced?

Old 10-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Gambit80
Amateur

Thanks for the replies, guys. Sorry I didn't respond more quickly. Busy weekend

so here is...the rest of the story...

I went over the truck, checking all fluids and such. Shut it off for awhile, started back up. No change. While idling I pulled off the CAI filter and was just checking it. In process of putting it back on and I heard the truck smooth out and idle correctly. Probably only had it off about 5 minutes or so.

Hopped back int he truck, took it for about a 20 minute drive and it drove like a champ. Check engine light was still on though. Got up the next morning to check for any codes and when starting the engine light is now off. Still running fine.

Could it have been bad diesel? I don't think the remove and reinstall if the CAI filter has anything to do with it, either. As far as fuel filter, I don't know. Just bought the truck a month ago, but I will look at getting it replaced soon as a cautionary measure.

Everything seems fine...Is there anything else I might want to/need to check?

Quick Reply: 2006 5.9 No Power, Rough Running