Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I call BS What say you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM
startrek512
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I call BS What say you?

I have a 2003 2500 with the cummins. It would not start first cold day.(once I start it ,it runs perfectly) I checked all I could and finally carried it to the dodge dealer and left instructions to get me a copy of all the codes and flash the ECM and reload with all the updates.(the service writer screwed those instructions up!)

The dodge mechanic said #2 injector has a bypass leak and there is not enough pressure to start the engine. I asked about why it ran fine after starting. He gave me a song and dance about how much more pressure there was once the engine was started. I asked if the pump was electric and he said that it was but the presure changed..

I've been a mechanic all my life (62) and I am not up on modern electronics , but, this sounds like BS. What say you?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is an electric pump, but its only a supply pump, the injection pump is mechanical, and pushes anywhere around 20-30 thousand psi while running, a failed injector could cause the problem, but more often than not, its a failed rail releief valve, or a pressure control actuator on the injection pump, is there any codes?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:40 AM
startrek512
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a little studying last night and feel a bit sheepish about my lack of knowlege about how this system works.

The Dodge mechanic said no codes. He said I wiped them out when I uninstalled the performance chip (as directed by the chip mfg)

any suggestions about how to isolate the bleed off ? I was told there was 1100 psi at the rail during crank.

thanks for the help, I hate getting old!!!

Quick Reply: I call BS What say you?