Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New to this Forum, New to Diesels, New to Dodge

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Chiefculprit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to this Forum, New to Diesels, New to Dodge

Hey everybody new to this forum. I have been looking at diesels for about 3 years now, never pulled the trigger. Now I am ready and I have found the truck I want... 2006 ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9L 4x4 w/ 80k miles. A buddy of mine has one and says he loves it. Because its 5k over my budget, I am a bit nervous. I don't want to settle and be sorry and don't want a problem either. I have looked at Ford and Chevy as well but Dodge seems to be the better motor from what I have read and I like the looks and how it drives. I do tow a 6k lbs trailer with a 1500 5.3L Suburban so I know it will be nothing behind the 2500. Please advise me on any issues and personal experiences - Good, Bad and Ugly.
BTW: I got another friend at a dealer (Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge) that is giving me lots of help on pricing but these things seem to hold their value really well unlike Fords 6.0s and I can't buy another Chevy for personal reasons ( I do love my Suburban and will drive it till the wheels fall off or the green weenies pry my cold dead hands off the steering wheel).

Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Chiefculprit

Crickets? HUH?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it should be a really strong truck, check all the front end balljoints, and do a good test drive, along with making sure EVERYTHING works

Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Chiefculprit

DT75,
Thanks I wil check into those things. It is lifted so is there any issues with angles on drive shafts? (I had a 74 K5 Blazer with a poorly done lift and was always snapping U-Joints). Not really into the lift or 36" tires but it seems everybody bought them that way. Just looking for a nice solid truck for work and play. Good highway driving and towing are huge pluses. I see your in CA too, as far emissions anything to be concerned about?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

emissions are nothing to worrie about as long as it has a cat, but most dont even know what too look at, if you even have to get a smog, driveliness should be fine, but have someone move it in forawd and reverse and stomp the brakes somewhat hard while you watch the lower control arms at the axle, loose bushings there seem to be an issue with lift kits on these setups

Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Chiefculprit
Default A new swelling sense of pride

Ok so I was set on buying a different 2500 (more $ and nowhere near the package) about a 4 hour drive away but stumbled across this hidden gem only 20 mins away. No offense to those that are lifted but not really me, and that seemed that all I could find of the mega cabs were with 70k on up miles (36's on 4" lift) So here's my new baby...

Name:  IMG_1003.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  30.9 KB

2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9L 4x4 Laramie package - 50k miles. I am just blown away by the truck, the power is awesome. Test driving just doesn't do the truck justice, but after the test drive even the sales guy who knew nothing about diesels was stunned by the truck. Driving home I was doing a steep grade at 70 and not even under strain. Mid grade I stomped on it just to see its power and it pushed me back in the seat. It just drives so easy. I know its the honeymoon stage but wow, I get the feeling its gonna last.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:49 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

congrats!!! great find

Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 AM
carisu
Rookie

Originally Posted by Chiefculprit
Ok so I was set on buying a different 2500 (more $ and nowhere near the package) about a 4 hour drive away but stumbled across this hidden gem only 20 mins away. No offense to those that are lifted but not really me, and that seemed that all I could find of the mega cabs were with 70k on up miles (36's on 4" lift) So here's my new baby...

2006 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 5.9L 4x4 Laramie package - 50k miles. I am just blown away by the truck, the power is awesome. Test driving just doesn't do the truck justice, but after the test drive even the sales guy who knew nothing about diesels was stunned by the truck. Driving home I was doing a steep grade at 70 and not even under strain. Mid grade I stomped on it just to see its power and it pushed me back in the seat. It just drives so easy. I know its the honeymoon stage but wow, I get the feeling its gonna last.
Nice Choice! I don't like lifts either.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Nice truck, you won't regret it. Auto or manual?

And they're all lifted because they look GREAT lifted, especially the Megas

Old 12-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Chiefculprit

Auto- So Cal freeways got too much stop and go to be clutching, although diesels are great at grunting gears. I used to be a chevy person (my 03 Suburban drives like a caddy and one of the best low maintenance vehicles I have owned) but I am really impressed with this Ram and cummins (seems to be the better motor). Besides being loaded (ie: leather, bluetooth, heated seats, power rear window, tow mirrors, infinity sound, dvd player and IR headsets for the kids, crap loads of interior space) I dont need to add anything for a while and it is just a really easy truck to drive. I have been spoiled with the reverse cam on the Suburban so I am going to install one on the Ram. The Ram makes my Suburban look like a station wagon.

Quick Reply: New to this Forum, New to Diesels, New to Dodge