Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

South Bend Clutch for G56 - REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default South Bend Clutch for G56 - REVIEW

When my 2007 Ram 2500 got to about 35,000 miles the clutch started slipping. It was most noticeable when entering the freeway or climbing a hill while trying to accelerate in 5th or 6th gear. At first I thought maybe the clutch needed adjustment or something; didn't want to think I had worn out a clutch in 35,000 miles! After reading some forum threads about the weak factory clutch on the G56 transmission I determined the clutch really was fried.

I decided to take action and get a beefier aftermarket clutch kit. I spoke to the tech department at South Bend Clutch. Since mine is basically stock and I don't usually tow anything, the guy told me to get model number G56-OK, which is good for up to 800 ft-lb of torque. This kit comes with a clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing. It also gives you new slave and master cylinders, which are a must with the new setup.

I ordered the kit from a retailer in Pennsylvania for about $1,100. It arrived the next day in three boxes. One box contains the flywheel only and weighs 70 lbs! I had a local shop do the replacement, for which they charged me 6.5 hours of labor.

With the new parts installed, it feels a lot different when I step on the clutch pedal. The pedal throw is shorter, which gives it a slightly sporty feel. Apparently the factory dual mass flywheel absorbs a lot of vibration, because now I can feel more vibration through the pedal. There are also some rattling noises at low RPM when there is a light load, like when backing out of a driveway. There is more gear noise when the trans is in neutral and the clutch is engaged.

Overall I like the new setup, and recommend it for G56 owners for when you wear out your factory setup.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 PM
ET RAM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That clutch of yours sure did not last long. I have a 96 12v Ram 5 speed with my original clutch. I am a few miles short of 272,000 miles. The clutch still feels good and strong. I just did a clutch test to check it out and it feels strong. Not sure how many miles I have left.

I am thinking of going South Bend too. I should give them a call and get some info. I am planning on replacing it myself.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

southbend has some good products, i just installed a 3600 DD, along with the hydros, and input shaft upgrade, holds all the extra power great, and much better starts than the old single disk, its a little slow upshifting now, but tollerable

Quick Reply: South Bend Clutch for G56 - REVIEW