Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

long crank time

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:42 AM
EricInMN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long crank time

2003 Dodge Cummins. I searched for responses to the question of long crank times or no start at all and there seems to be a lot of things that might cause this but if it’s bad injectors, it would seem to be a problem all the time. When it’s cold – below 15 or so, the crank time can be very long or it won’t start at all. But if it starts after a long crank time, it will run very well and it starts really well when the block heater is plugged in. I replaced the crank shaft sensor and that didn’t do it even though there was a code that indicated a problem. I then checked the feeder tubes and one of them seemed loose. This morning it was 16, not terribly cold, but it did start without any problem. I’ll try it in a few days when it’s supposed to drop to 0.

Could one loose tube have that effect only when it’s cold but not when running or when it’s warm? I had the lift pump replaced (again) and it ran ok for a while after that. I think this is unrelated.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, that could affect it, but it almost sounds like the grid heaters are not working...

Old 12-15-2010, 04:33 PM
EricInMN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about the heaters but I can see the lights dim a little after starting which seems to me is the grid heater cycling on and off. Is there another way to test these? The other thing was that there was definitely low fuel pressure measured at the rail when it wouldn't start. When it starts it comes up to pressure pretty fast.

Last edited by EricInMN; 12-15-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the lights are dimming, the grids should be ok, that cold, and only doing it when its that cold, may just be a fuel gelling issue, try some anit gel additive and see if that helps out at all...

Quick Reply: long crank time