Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Finally modding after 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 AM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally modding after 3 years

So, 2nd gear went out in the tranny and I take it to a really well known Dodge mechanic here in WV.....he advised that I get a valve body with a torque locker and also get the bands adjusted....anybody have a high performance valve body and torque locker? if so, can ya give me any details on the advantages and disadvantages it has?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

goerend or suncoast is about as good as it gets, and put a fuel pressure gauge on that thing if you havent already, it will save you lots a $$$$

Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM
stodg73
Amateur

Here is some suggested upgrades: Upgrades

Here is some information on gauges: Gauge Information

They are a long read, but worth it.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 PM
miknwv
Veteran

Thanks for the input guys...I got it done and noticed a big difference in the torque....but its running lean, so my next move is an air dog fuel system (if air dog is the right name for it).....once I do that, I may have gauges installed but the gauges are last on my list. Come tax time, Im gonna get the fuel system put in. About how big of a difference would that make without changing to larger injectors?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:05 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you wont gain hp from a fuel system, unless your system is starving for fuel, wich is really bad news, thats why i said to get a fuel pressure gauge ASAP, low fuel pressure will turn your injection pump into a paper weight very, VERY quickly, and it aint cheap, you say its running lean? what is it doing?

Old 12-29-2010, 05:29 PM
stodg73
Amateur

If you think your fuel is running a little lean, be ready to pay about $2500+ for a lift pump and VP44. That price is installed.

A fuel pressure gauge is cheap insurance and should cost about $100 for a cheap one or you can use an oil pressure gauge for cheaper.

A VP44 will supply its own fuel pressure for a while, then it will break. I have found that having the VP-44 supplied with about 14psi constant you may gain about 2-3mpg.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, go get a Fuel Injection Pressure Test kit for about $25. Put it on and see that you lift pump is putting out. Anything below 10psi is a disaster waiting to happen. At least with this, you will see if you need a lift pump.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:34 PM
98Dakota
Rookie

Personally i would protect my investment and buy !st the low fuel pressure warning or guage then the rest of the guages that way you always know where your at as you are doing mods or pushing the power to it ...

Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
miknwv
Veteran

There was an instance last year when I couldnt get past 80 mph because of lack of fuel so I replaced the lift pump and got SOME power back but not all....I do have the VP44 code in my computer but its been in there for 6 months. Had a Dodge guru out here tell me it could still be the lift pump, so hes gonna put a high performance fuel pump on it to keep the VP44 from starving. He said when he drove it (after the new lift pump) he still couldnt get high RPMs because of lack of fuel. I know my fuel pressure is bottoming out, its a matter of just getting it fixed first, then adding a programmer.

Speaking of programmer, which one is it that you can either adjust for best mileage or best power?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM
stodg73
Amateur

What codes does your truck have, when it is hooked up to a scanner?

Now about the programmer, lots of options. SMARTY, Edge, Bully Dog, Quadzilla, etc. depending on what type of performance that you want. Some of these products come with a gauge package built in, others they are a programmer/scanner. Some are shift on the fly, others you have to stop, turn off the vehicle to download the tune. Some you can stack with others. So depending on what you want, is what type you need.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 PM
miknwv
Veteran

Thanks for the info....I'm gonna do the airdog when the taxes come in....i want a programmer that I can tune for best fuel mileage, then tune up the power when some jackass thinks he can take me at a stop light.....whats the best recommendation for that?

Quick Reply: Finally modding after 3 years