Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2001 Ram question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:06 PM
a4x4high
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram question

So I am possibly buying a 01 Ram 2500 long bed 4x4 with the 5.9l cummins.Of course I am already thinking performance add ons not to much right now but maybe some exhaust and air intake system .So I kinda like the looks of stacks but dont know if I should do single or dual and what diam. stacks should I go with for the mods I plan on doin? Also will doing stacks help to keep EGT down?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:24 PM
stodg73
Amateur

Depending on what you are wanting to do with the truck is what type of mods you are going to need. The first mods should be gauges, Fuel Pressure, EGT, Boost, and if it is a automatic trans, a Trans. temp gauge, no matter what you are going to use the truck for. These trucks are notorious for the lift pump going out and taking the injection pump with it.

An air intake system will help the engine breathe better as will an exhaust system. If you want stacks, I would suggest duals, 6", because they allow a better flow due to having more area to exhaust the spent gases. Just remember that the turbo is what limits the amount of gases go through, the turbo itself is the restriction, most exhausts are either 4" TBE or 5" TBE. If going with stacks, use the 5" to the Y connector to the stacks. I am not sure, but most stacks come with a 4" TBE, and you add the size of stack that you want.

Others will chime in.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
a4x4high

I already have a trans temp,egt and boost gauge ,I guess I should probably get a fuel pressure gauge cause that would give me some pre warning on the lift pump failure.The truck will not be doin much heavy pulling or hauling.The most I usually pull is a 6x10 trailer with 2 harleys on it and maybe pull a car here and there .I do plan on running the biggest tires I can fit with a 2" leveling kit so I would like to gain back the loss of power from that and then a little more.I dont want to go to extreme with mods to try and keep the truck reliable.I did find service records in the glove box from the previous owner and it appears he took really good care of the truck.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM
stodg73
Amateur

For the fuel pressure gauge, one that goes to 30psi will be plenty. You want to keep it above 14psi if you can.

The best upgrades for these trucks is an intake and larger exhaust. Here are some suggested upgrades: Suggested Upgrades

These trucks also have the drag of a large billboard, the higher you go the worse it is.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM
a4x4high

Thanks for the info stodg, I finally got a chance to talk to the diesel tech at the dodge dealer my wife works at (i am a gas engine tech ,so this diesel stuff gets confusing)and he told me he will help me with any thing I need so with you guys and him Hopefully I will learn alot of good stuff.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:56 PM
stodg73
Amateur

Diesel's are easy, air + fuel = POWER

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram question