Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'05 5.9 TD - lack of power, rough running

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:44 PM
tmtm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 5.9 TD - lack of power, rough running

went to look at a 2005 3500 4*4 auto td today,

I started the truck, it was already warmed he just got off work, it idled nice and sounded good, so i took off for test drive, got out on the highway, about the time I hit around 65 mph it started running rough, pouring black smoke and lost power, I mean seriously lost power, and I then noticed the engine light came on, took it back and a fellow had a scanner, so we put it on the truck, it gave code po 514 and po 2149, after looking up the codes, looking over the wiring and stuff,(there was nothing we could do there for sure) we cleared the codes, the truck ran smooth again until I put it in gear, then it started running rough again and lost power pouring smoke, the fellow lived not far from there, so I rode with him, it smoothed out for a short bit but then started running rough again, and repeated that again, the codes stayed on the entire time, he said he only has been driving it about 7 miles to work and back lately, the fellow that had the scanner said the previous owner has had fuel related problems with the truck before too, small town everyone knew each other I guess.

I wonder if this might be something serious, should I run? I mean heck this could turn into thousands for repairs without knowing right?

I do not know anyplace to take it over there, and it may be hard for a shop to diagnose reasonably, truck has 132,000 miles but it is overall clean looking, i did notice that at one time must have had stacks on it as there is a hole in the bed, now it has dual exhaust on it not loud though sounds factory any ideas to the issues would be great

thanks

Old 01-03-2011, 08:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Moving this to the Cummins Section...

Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM
tmtm

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Moving this to the Cummins Section...

thanks, sorry about that!

Tom

Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
stodg73
Amateur

You might ask when the fuel filter was changed last. Had this happen to another on another forum, he had nevver changed his.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 AM
tmtm

Originally Posted by stodg73
You might ask when the fuel filter was changed last. Had this happen to another on another forum, he had nevver changed his.

thanks but that has been done, except for the codes I would htink possible fuel pump? but the codes are not related to that

Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 AM
stodg73
Amateur

The P0514 is Bat Temperture Sensor Rationality and the P2149 is Fuel Injector Group 2 Supply Voltage Circuit.

There may be a broken wire in the wireing harness, that touches most of the time, yet when a little load is put on the engine it seperates. You need a DRBIII scan tool to be able to scan for this, i think. THe DRBIII is only available at the dealer.
An injector may be sticking open, or the 'group 2' injectors may be messed up.

The batteries may need to be replaced. The sensor may be faulty.

Just throwing ideas out there for you.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
tmtm

Originally Posted by stodg73
The P0514 is Bat Temperture Sensor Rationality and the P2149 is Fuel Injector Group 2 Supply Voltage Circuit.

There may be a broken wire in the wireing harness, that touches most of the time, yet when a little load is put on the engine it seperates. You need a DRBIII scan tool to be able to scan for this, i think. THe DRBIII is only available at the dealer.
An injector may be sticking open, or the 'group 2' injectors may be messed up.

The batteries may need to be replaced. The sensor may be faulty.

Just throwing ideas out there for you.
thanks!!, I also got a message this morning from a fellow that has run into this before, he actually had one where the wiring had fried the computer - and it had a bad injector.

He said be very carefull as even diesel shops have mis-diagnosed this issue replacing parts prematurely, he said BE sure your wiring is not damaged before replacing any computer or injector, or you could ruin the new parts (which to me as a retired tech I would had done, but we learned to work with trouble code trees which always had you check wiring before replacing parts, but I don't work on them anymore)

So, once I knew what to search for I found a few threads on this topic verifying what I was told earlier

in some cases shorted wiring has led to replacement of the computer, wire harness and injectors,

and even a shorted injector has caused damage to the computer,

say you just replace the back three injectors, you might as well replace the front three injectors to keep one of them from causing damage to computer, which could leave a bill towards 5 grand at a shop if all, (computer, wiring harness and injectors) were replaced, this is something I definitely want to be sure of, then again, I could buy a perfectly running truck and have it happen a month later, so this is good to know up front

this sure puts a whole new meaning in used trucks!

Sure makes you wonder if buying one needing some repairs doing them all now and not worrying about it for another 100k plus miles or taking a chance on a good running one that "might" have this happen to it later is worth it or not!

Quick Reply: '05 5.9 TD - lack of power, rough running