Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

troubleshooting electrical

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
wagntagn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default troubleshooting electrical

I m trying to figure out a problem with voltage to fuel transfer pump,is there a web site with that info,Iwould also like to get trouble codes for my 2001

Old 01-29-2011, 11:34 AM
stodg73
Amateur

Since you have a 2001, you can do the key trick, on-off-on-off-on, and then look in the odometer window and write down any codes that come up. If there are none, you will be a PdOnE and an EdOnE, and they look just like that. The you can post up the codes and we can help you decipher them.

Now, with the fuel transfer pump, you need a fuel pressure gauge to test how much pressure it is putting out. If there is problems with voltage, then the wiring must be checked, and possibly the ECM is the problem. If the truck isn't running, there is no voltage at the lift pump, it doesn't turn on until the truck is running. Or, you could have an ohm meter hooked up and just bump the starter and see if you get power to the connector. Another way is to bump the starter and listen to see if the transfer pump is running. You could have the block mounted pump or the in tank pump.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM
wagntagn

I hooked up a voltage meter and when I turn the key to on position I get 12 volts for 2 seconds then voltage goes down to 8 volts,then if I go to start and release voltage goes up to 12 volts for 25 seconds then back down to 8 volts ,why does it drops to 8 you would think it should drop to 0 volts

Quick Reply: troubleshooting electrical