Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

5.9 Gas to 5.9 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:26 AM
romadramowner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 Gas to 5.9 CTD

I originally asked this in the 2nd Gen forum and they told me to come here. I have read a bunch of your posts but I have these specific questions. Thanks for any help.

So a long term science project for me is to rebuild a 5.9 Cummins motor to possibly put in my 1994 2500 4x4 that currently has a 5.9 gas. I'm not doing this because it's cost effective, I'm doing it because it's interesting to me and I like to tinker. I may end up building the project motor just to buy a 12v truck with a blown motor but that's not as fun.

Either way if I do the swap in my truck I realize I would need a wiring harness, the fuel system/tank, mounts, tranny, transfer case, D70/80 rear, etc. My truck is paid off and I have PLENTY of time to do this project over the next couple of years and I refuse to purchase a new truck model because they are not as easy to work on and my truck is my hobby.

So, my questions are as follows:

1. If I purchase a 1994 or later Cummins 12v do I NEED to switch to the NV4500HD or NV5600? I already have a normal NV4500.

2. If I DO need another tranny to go with the CTD, is the NV5600 worth the effort to find and the price associated with it?

3. Is there a significant difference between the NV241D and the NV241HD transfer cases when coupled with the 5.9 12v? I currently have a NV240. From what I read I will need to upgrade due to input/output shaft size.

4. Do I have to swap out my front coil springs to a V10 or Diesel set or do my normal 2500 springs work?

5. What wiring is required for the swap? The entire harness?

6. Can I get a 92-93 12v and make it work? Is this a bad idea?

7. Do I need a D80 or does the D70 work?

8. Is the steering linkage and box different? I just replaced my whole linkage...