Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

K&N Vs. What?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N Vs. What?

So, I've been watching the posts for a while and it seems to me that the K&N filter on my truck may actually be a liability instead of an asset. The filter intake tube also seems to me to be part of that liability based on the fact I could remove it by hand, without loosening the straps.

What do you guys recommend for a filter/intake replacement? I really do not want to damage the turbo, or frankly ANYTHING downstream on the truck. I've tightened up the strap around the intake tube and it seems much more secure. If the intake holds, do other filters fit the K&N tube or do I need to replace both components?

Looking for recommendations.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would think you would be able to fit other brands of air filters onto the end of the K&N, i have heard good things about specture

Old 04-13-2011, 06:51 PM
KenZ
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never used a K&N, but I went with a AEM dry filter. Works great, great quality, and you just wash it and reinstall and your good to go.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:19 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding is that S&B is supposed to flow nearly as well but filter much better than the K&N.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For years there was no matching an oiled filter for a combination of filtering and flow. I've only owned K&Ns over the last 22 years or so and it's currently what I'm running in my CAI, bought in '05. I clean & oil it about every 15k miles which is a little bit sooner than they recommend. You can screw one up if you don't know how to properly clean and re-oil one. A oil-type filter that is dry will flow just as well, but won't filter fine particles at all and could cause damage over a period of time. A good quality oiled filter filters just as well as the better dry filters, IF they are properly oiled.

However, there is a LOT of new technology being used in dry filters that are making them at least as good as the better oiled filters without having the maintenance that you have with oiled filters. Since mine is still in perfect shape, I doubt I'll replace it anytime soon, but if I were looking to buy one today, the dry filters made by AEM, Amsoil, S&B and AFE are all high quality filters that flow at about the same rate as a K&N and are much easier to maintain, without worrying about if you've re-oiled them properly or not...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 04-17-2011 at 08:31 PM.