Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Smokin Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
cfd303
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Smokin Cummins

I have been having some MPG issues w/my '06. i have had alot of questions on the site and some good answers, but none have led to any answers why im getting such bad mileage. So one last thing. I noticed yesterday that my truck was smokin. Just after i started it. I let it run for 5-10 min and still noticed the smoke in the sun light. It was around 70 degrees outside. I couldnt really tell if it was blue or white so i asked my wifes opionion and she said white w/out me telling her what color i thought it was. What could that mean?

I was looking around the web site and i found someone's commment. "White smoke means fuel delivery problems, blue smoke is internal engine problems, black smoke is fuel problems."

I have had teh truck in numerous times and evertime they (dodge dealers and diesel shops) say they find nothing wrong.

The next time i take the truck in for an oil change i am going to have them ck the inter cooler for leaks.

i was towing a enclosed car trailer and a code popped up again. P0148. Could this smoke and the REALLY bad mileage be related.

the worse part is the little liar guage that measures fuel mileage. It shows almost 28mpg while at highway speeds. I reset with ignition on, rolling down the road and it comes it the same. i actually get 12 if i am lucky. When i tow it drops down to around 16 and if i am lucky i get 9. i cant believe it would be off that much.

thanks again for any input.

Aaron

Old 06-13-2011, 10:31 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running a programmer of any type, any other mods aside from the intake and (overly large) exhaust?

If the overhead is telling you it's using half as much fuel as you're calculating, and you're not using a programmer to add fuel/power, then it's injecting more fuel than it knows.

Stuck/leaky (cracked?) injector? I would check your oil, maybe even pop for an analysis to see if you're getting fuel dilution.

The next thing I'd do is find out what the lift pump is supposed to output - pressure and volume, same thing with the injection pump, and do the tests (or have the shop do them).

Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM
cfd303
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by horatio102
Are you running a programmer of any type, any other mods aside from the intake and (overly large) exhaust?

If the overhead is telling you it's using half as much fuel as you're calculating, and you're not using a programmer to add fuel/power, then it's injecting more fuel than it knows.

Stuck/leaky (cracked?) injector? I would check your oil, maybe even pop for an analysis to see if you're getting fuel dilution.

The next thing I'd do is find out what the lift pump is supposed to output - pressure and volume, same thing with the injection pump, and do the tests (or have the shop do them).
I am using a MileMax Programmer. But when unplugged i get the same results in between the display and the calculations. The truck was in for diagnostics of the injectors. They sent them out to be tested and one came back as having a high flow. That injector was rebuilt. (Cant afford new) that did not help at all. The shop that did the injectors did give me a bottle to take a sample of the oil and i will be doing that on the next oil change.

I also believe that the shop tested the fuel pressures and flow and they were ok. But i will have that checked again on the next oil change.

I also notice ALOT of black soot on the exterior of the exhaust tip. Just an FYI.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Smokin Cummins