Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Idle Automatic Transmission "Pull"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM
diverp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle Automatic Transmission "Pull"

Hi. This is my first time on this forum. Thought I would see if anyone could give me a hand in diagnosing something. Here is my truck:
-2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie
-Diesel, Automatic

Yesterday, a behavior started with my truck. Either hot or cold, I can be sitting at a stop with my foot on the brake. If I am in park or neutral, not problems. If I am in D, 1, 2 or R, with my foot on the brake, the transmission slowly surges/revs to advance, eventually to the point where the vehicle is laboring to push forward, but with no noticeable increase in rpm's. If I shift back into Neutral, the engine will over rev shortly, then drop back to normal idle. Either way gives a nasty "clunk" when shifting ino or out of these gears and back into park or N.

If I am in any of the gears (D, 1, 2, or R), with my foot on the brake, the transmission is pushing trying to advance the truck...if I let off the brake and slowly let it rock forward, the transmission noticeably stops pushing so hard and behaves normall (all speeds are under 5 mph).

There is no check engine light. I don't have a scanner at the moment to be able to check for codes.

It would appear that it is more of a transmission issue (solenoid or torque converter issue) or a sensor/switch issue (brake switch?). Not sure. The only reason I rule out a gas/air issue is because the truck runs normally when moving at any speed and idles perfectly. If I never had to slow down to the point of having to brake (anything above 2 mph), I'd be great.

Any direction or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Paul

Old 07-18-2011, 12:22 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to DF. I moved this to the Diesel section for better assistance.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 PM
quadcabroughneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have the same issue i went to a well reputed dealer to day and i know them well whats happening is the clutch pac has been slipped and some plates are now warped and catching eachother instead of freespoling at idle if that helps get your torque checked as well

Quick Reply: Idle Automatic Transmission "Pull"