Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
dodge626
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mileage

hey guys on my 03 2500 im not getting the mileage i thought i would get the truck does have the edge juice on it and a silverline 4 inch turbo back exhaust and when i bought it from the guy he said that it would get over 20 as long as i dont keep my foot in it. which is hard to do haha. well the only time i got that much is the 5 hour drive home from picking it up from the guy since i have had it home is got at most a little bit over 18 i had to replace the clutch and i put a good single disc southbend clutch in it and still the numbers arent good it does 4.10 gears in the back which doesnt help. so my question is i do want to put a cai in it at some point and a intake horn im not trying to go super crazy with this truck and when the tires go bad i want to go up a size or to now is there any other way to get my rpms lower without doing anything like changing the gears in the rear end or anything like what else can i do? any help on this situation will help alot thanks guys

Old 07-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imho you were "sold" or "lied" to.

18-19mpg is what you should expect from that truck empty. I've seen more in my truck in the mountains but I was also limited to 90kmph and coasting down hills.

Drive it...Enjoy it. Fill it up.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:28 PM
dodge626
Professional

o i love the truck dont get me wrong i just would like to know what i could do to get the better mileage with out having to change gears and everything i know the cai and the intake horn will help and so will some bigger tires but is the anything else that i can do with out going broke in the meantime? thanks for the help guys

Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Cthulhu
Captain

CAI will help your engine breath better, lowering your EGTs, aiding in combustion... It will not help mpg. Bigger tires are heavier rotating masses and can only harm mpgs.

Stick with stock.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Tazman40
Professional

if u want better mpg's,get a Prius

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 PM
dodge626
Professional

ok i a not dumb i know how and engine works let a alone a diesel engine so i know if i do things to my truck to make the egts go down and the truck makes more power that it will b more efficient which means better mileage to a certain point and i know that if you put like a size or two bigger tires on the truck that the rpms will drop some which means more mileage again to a certain point. so does anyone have a setup that is anything close to what i have. which right now is a edge juice with attitude and a silverline 4 in turbo back exhaust and in the future im thinking about putting a banks cai and intake horn if so what kind of mileage are you getting with it?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Tazman40
Professional

What u are talking about doing isnt gonna gain you much if anything.If you gain 1 mpg it will be alot and you will not see a difference at the pump.18 mpg or 20 mpg isnt that far apart and i doubt you will notice it in the amount of times you stop at the pumps.Bottom line is there is no hidden secret to great mpgs with these trucks or any truck.If you want to drive a truck then just drive,you will beat yourself to death trying to make it a fuel efficient machine,its just not gonna happen.My 06 Hemi gave me about 12 mpgs and this 5.9 gives me around 18.I dont see any big saveings in my checking account.

I fill her up when it needs it and i have fun with the power.lifes to short to try and squeeze 2 mpgs out of a truck,because if u do manage to do it you are not gonna notice it in your wallet.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:58 PM
horatio102
Champion

You've got 4.10 gears... the best thing you can do is drive slower. With tires, you have to take into account the weight of the tire and then the diameter, and where the weight is. If you have a 40 pound tire where the majority of the weight is 15" from the center of the axle, then you upgrade to a 33" tire that weighs 50 pounds and most of that weight is 16.5" from the center of the axle, not only are you adding 10 pounds of rotating mass but you're also increasing the distance from the fulcrum. Even if you kept the same weight but moved the weight out, it would take more energy to turn. You're lowering your gear ratio while increasing the energy required to turn the wheel, AND increasing the weight of the package... Long story short is that larger heavier tires will rarely provide a fuel economy increase. If you go from some wide mud tire to a tall and skinny highway rib with low rolling resistance, then you might see a gain.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 AM
tiger63
Rookie

You own the last of the 5.9's without the change in 2005 to conform to EPA mandates.

Get on your knees and thank the lord you are not stuck with the product being produced today.

I would bet a portion of your problem if you have the same lift pump system and the same injector pump as sold brand new is this.

The old lift pump after time begins to starve the injector pump due to age, the injector pump begins to slobber and the fuel is wasted and your MPG will get less and less.

A hopped up truck without the proper high volume lift pump is a bomb ready to go "Boom".

Old 08-07-2011, 08:43 AM
maxwell11

i have a 2005, 2 wheel drive 2500 with 50K miles quad cab, short bed auto.

i think the truck gets good mileage, 18-22 mpg depending on what i am doing.

all things are realitive, i came from an old chevy 2500 with 350 engine that never saw a gas station it did not fall in love with, about 11-14 mpg for 100K miles.

just enjoy your dodge,

note some people tell you about the mileage numbers they see on the overhead display, mine says up to 24+ sometimes, but with pencil i do not get that kind of mileage.

i use stanadyne and schaeffee oil fuel additives from time to time.

Quick Reply: mileage