Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Frequent water in fuel warning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Midnite-CTD
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frequent water in fuel warning?

Couldn't find the info I needed, so I appologize if this was covered somewhere... (I'm good with a link if anyone has one! )

My '08 2500 keeps giving me the water in fuel warning. I can pull over on the spot and drain it (have several times), and it will come on only a mile or two down the road. I've run diesel fuel conditioner through it, even ran it down as empty as I dared, fueled up at the busiest cardlock in town, and drained the seperator immediately afterwards. Still does it.

It doesn't seem to come on in the mornings at all, usually only on hot afternoons from what i've noticed, and then it will come and go, sometimes shutting off as soon as I look at it?

Could this be a faulty sensor or some type of build-up on the sensor?

Any help you guys can give would be great, as i'm not overly knowledgable when it comes to diesels, and i'm trying to avoid sending it in to the shop, as i'll end up driving a POS Ford van while it's gone!(actually, I just hate transferring all my tools over, but I don't like the van either )

Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
maxwell11

hope its a faulty sensor,
i ask my local ambulance service where they buy fuel in out town,

manager identified one station they had never had any problems with water in fuel from that station. So that station has become my fuel point,

when i visit another town on the job i always go by the dodge dealer and ask manager if he prefers any station, normally there will be one he suggest.

so far no fuel related problems.

I also run the following fuel additives from time to time.
stanadyne (local dodge dealer sells this product)
Schaeffee Oil (local big truck servcie center manager recommends this product)
he said it keep injectors lubed and helps with any moisture.

maybe you need to change out the fuel filter!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:38 AM
burleighwelding

I have a 08 3500 and it does the same thing. Water in the fuel light comes on. Been on about 4 months. I run a tank out every 2 days changed fuel filter twice and run marvel mystery oil every other fill up. Think it's a sensor.

Quick Reply: Frequent water in fuel warning?