Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

frequent starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM
01ramcummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frequent starting problem.

1996 ram 2 wheel drive 5.9 cummins, ok so heres the deal. ive had a problem with the gas tank getting pressurized, when i open cap it hisses and tank settles back into tank straps, no biggy so i drilled a hole in gas cap to relieve pressure, i did this after it started doin its problem, what the truck is doin is when i drive around and the motor is hot, and lets say i stop to eat or get gas or whatever. motor is still hot, i go out to start it back up and all it does is crank over, it wont start, i sat at the gas station for 20 min the other day tryin to start the damn thing, it only does it when its hot. if i come home for a couple hours, lety it sit, its fine and will start up no prob. but if its short period of time, it doesnt like to restart. so what i do and it sometimes works is relieve the fuel filter by the water relief thing on the bottom of it. but any ideas would be much appreciated, i need this fixed, i dont shut it off anymore when i stop for short periods of time. but please, help thanks all.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM
98Dakota
Rookie

I would check fuel pressure at the Injection Pump first..

Old 08-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the '96 a preasurized fuel tank to aid in the transport of the fuel to the engine?

Have you tried replacing the fuel cap you drilled the hole in, or plug it to see if that's your problem...

Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM
01ramcummins
Professional

well. i drilled the hole to relieve the pressure because in the mornings even wen it was cold, i would start it, itd start right up, then like 30sec-1min later it would just stall out and wont let me restart for a little while, so id check the tank and it was pressurized, to the point where the tank was actually coming out of the straps, so id relieve pressure and it would settle back in and it would restart. so that hasnt happened sense i drilled the hole, but now when the engine is hot like i go get diesel, i shut it off, and it wont restart. i was also told that the lift pump is goin out.?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what would happen if you put a sealed cap on at night, or when you shut it down, then change to the vented cap after you start it... atleast until you get your lift pump replaced.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:59 PM
01ramcummins
Professional

idk, but what would that do? or help? and how much are lift pumps? anyone have a website to get one?

Quick Reply: frequent starting problem.