Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Injectors: replace them all?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM
mwolfe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Injectors: replace them all?

I've got an '06 CTD with about 70k on the clock. I have 1 bad injector that the dealership is going to replace under warranty. The service manager is strongly suggesting that I have all of the injectors replaced ($2,600) while they are in there. My question is: do I need to do all of them or can I get by with only replacing the bad 1???

Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM
tech_support

I would only replace the bad one unless you are having other issues

Old 08-24-2011, 04:36 PM
mwolfe

No other problems...I guess I'm just wondering why they would suggest I have all of the injectors replaced. Do some people replace injectors as preventative maintenance?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:58 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I manage a trucking company and we replace all of the injectors at once. There are different tolerances in injectors so we try to pick them all out so they have similar dimensions for economy/power and hopefully last longer.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it really is a good idea to replace them all rather than just one at a time, so you have a "matched set" but on the other hand it really doesnt hurt anything to do just one, really the worst that happens is a slight idle shake, but at that price i but you could find a set of aftermarket injectors that will net you more power and mpg's while still being quite a bit cheaper....

Old 08-27-2011, 06:37 PM
tiger63
Rookie

The injectors in any diesel trying to burn crank case gases and sludge as demanded by the EPA will fail very quickly.

They are rusting from the moisture created in the crank case pan
being fed into the fuel stream.

Nothing you can do about this problem as long as you deal
with the dealer/stealer.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 PM
tech_support

Originally Posted by tiger63
The injectors in any diesel trying to burn crank case gases and sludge as demanded by the EPA will fail very quickly.

They are rusting from the moisture created in the crank case pan
being fed into the fuel stream.

Nothing you can do about this problem as long as you deal
with the dealer/stealer.

That makes no sense at all. First off moisture from the crankcase never enters the fuel system. Secondly any moisture that would enter the combustion chamber wouldn't hurt anything, it wouldn't be enough to hurt anything. I have yet to see a rusty injector tip, most go bad from dirty fuel.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM
ronnie32567

The 06 doesn't have the egr and I dont think just the crankcase ventilation gasses are enough the hurt anything. The egr on the other hand is the worst thing that you can have on a diesel. My 03 6.0 ford got completely gummed up in the intake manifold and heads that it would not even run, but I remedied that little situation, now runs like a singer sowing machine.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tech_support
That makes no sense at all. First off moisture from the crankcase never enters the fuel system. Secondly any moisture that would enter the combustion chamber wouldn't hurt anything, it wouldn't be enough to hurt anything. I have yet to see a rusty injector tip, most go bad from dirty fuel.
dito....

crankcase gasses are vented not burned, and i inject water in my engine it loves it and the dealer is not the only place to jet your injectors worked on, just about anyone can do that

Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM
tiger63
Rookie

I am glad all you experts know everything, go visit a fuel injection service and look at some injectors removed your 6.7 and later. None of what you say about crank case gas not being fed back into the fuel system is crap.

After 2004 the epa required what had been trapped by puke tubes and by pass vent pipes had to be reburned...thus the problem !

enjoy your problem, my 5.9 2000 does not have the problem each of you face. Quit drinking dealer kool-aid.

Quick Reply: Injectors: replace them all?