Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DTCs

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTCs

Hello all...I just hooked my Smarty up to my truck after having some problems and pulled 7 trouble codes. I was able to look them up but don't completely understand them, and was wondering how many of these codes were related to my current troubles, and if anyone can draw a conclusion as to where my trouble might be.

Last week my AC clutch locked up. When I tried to start it I melted the wire that goes from the starter to itself, but the starter would still work. My brother, in a stroke of genius, then grounded that wire out trying to jump the starter and caused a huge spark. After that spark, my power windows, speedometer, air blower motor and reverse lights wont work, and the starter won't work via the ignition switch (i can jump the starter over and get it to start since I've bypassed the AC compressor with the serpentine belt.

Here are the codes I pulled. Could anyone possibly draw any conclusions?

P0236 (M) Map Sensor Too High Too Long Problem detected in turbocharger wastegate.

P0602 (M) ECM Fueling Calibration Error ECM Internal fault condition detected.

P1693 (M) DTC Detected in Companion Module A fault has been generated in the companion engine
control module.
P1693 (M) DTC Detected in PCM/ECM or DTC
Detected in ECM
A 9Companion DTC9 was set in both the ECM and PCM.

P1682 (G) Charging System Voltage Too Low Battery voltage sense input below target charging voltage
during engine operation and no significant change in
voltage detected during active test of generator output
circuit.
P1682 Charging System Voltage Too Low Charging system output voltage low.
P1389 No ASD Relay Output Voltage At
PCM
No Z1 or Z2 voltage sensed when the auto shutdown
relay is energized.

P1389 (M) No ASD Relay Output Voltage at
PCM
An open condition detected In the ASD relay output
circuit.

P0645 A/C Clutch Relay Circuit An open or shorted condition detected in the A/C clutch
relay control circuit <<< This is the cause of the whole mess and is a known issue

P0463 Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too
High
Fuel level sensor input above acceptable voltage.

P0463 (M) Fuel Level Sending Unit Volts Too
High
Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge
sending unit. <<<< This has been a known issue before current problems, fuel gauge malfunctioning

EDIT: Come to think of it, all of my problems started when my brother grounded out that wire that runs from one part of the starter to the other, it looks about like a 6 gauge wire, and I've never seen one before on a starter and have no clue what it is or does. I went to Advance to look at a starter and on the ones from Advance, the wire runs out of the casing on one part and then bolts to the side of the starter, so if it goes bad you would have to replace the whole starter. On my starter on my truck, there are two bolts, one on each end. I'm going to try to replace this wire and see what happens.

Last edited by miknwv; 08-29-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 AM
miknwv
Veteran

I was told by my mechanic that its my starter...once I replace it, I'll let you all know if it fixes the problem.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 AM
miknwv
Veteran

FIXED: My mechanic told me it would be Tuesday when he could get around to fixing my truck so I figured I'd buy my own starter and do it myself. When I picked it up from the shop, both negative terminals were disconnected. After hooking those back up, everything worked perfectly normal....the starter, the air blower, reverse lights, power windows and everything. I guess the computer just needed reset that way and I guess resetting it that way is different than using a handheld programmer to reset it. All is working well.

Quick Reply: DTCs