Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Please help! DPF/EGR 2007 6.7L

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011 | 10:02 PM
Jumpmaster1135
|
Default Please help! DPF/EGR 2007 6.7L

Is there anyone who can advise me on what I need to do. I am in the US Army and am currently stationed in Australia as an exchange instructor. I have a 2007.5 2500 Dodge Ram 6.7L Mega Cab. It has been in the shop a total of 10 times over the last year and a half all regarding loss of power, check engine light on, black smoke pouring out of the exhaust, etc..... I am currently in Australia as mentioned above, and the truck has been in the shop here three times as well. Unfortunately, Australia will not offer my warranty, nor do they know much about these trucks as they don't sell them over here. I am currently getting 10mpg and when I drive over 20 miles black smoke pours out of the exhaust. I have called customer service and they tell me that since the truck is in Australia they can do nothing for me. I then called International Customer Service and they say the same thing. Can anyone advise if there is ultiamtely a fix for this, and or what I can do with this currently useless truck. Thanks

Old 08-30-2011 | 11:04 PM
horatio102
Champion

Do you have to do emissions testing/inspections in AU?

If/when you come home, will you be in an area where there are emissions inspections/testing?

If not, or if you're willing to do/pay to do install/swap multiple times, do a DPF delete, EGR delete, and get a programmer to disable the DPF regen as well as the DTCs that will appear when the truck realizes the EGR and DPF aren't there anymore.

Chrysler (and all manufacturers really) won't cover your vehicle in foreign countries - US/Canada have agreements in place, but I don't think they'll cover you overseas.

Keep an eye on your oil level. I wouldn't be surprised at all if your oil level went UP as you accumulate miles between services - it's all fuel being dumped in due to the regen process.

Theoretically Dodge released updated programming to take care of the issues you're having, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to get it updated while overseas.

I don't know if it's possible to reflash an ECM without having it installed in a truck, but I'll ask the guys over at Dodge tomorrow. I'm a Subaru tech with an auto group that has a Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealership two buildings down the street. If it IS possible, you might try working out how to get your ECM shipped home. It sounds expensive, but it's definitely cheaper than replacing turbos, particulate filters, and EGR systems.

I know you don't know me from Jake and Elwood, but if I can help I would be happy to.

Old 08-31-2011 | 09:34 PM
horatio102
Champion

I forgot to ask while I was over there today. I got distracted with a stupid Sebring that had a malfunctioning ragtop and didn't remember to ask for you. I'll be back over there again tomorrow though.

Old 09-02-2011 | 09:53 PM
horatio102
Champion

Ok I spoke with one of the Cummins techs over there and he said that no, you can't just ship your ECM back here to get it reflashed - it needs to be in the truck and connected to the other modules.

He did say, however, that there is a website out there somewhere that you can pay a fee and basically log in to Chrysler's system as a guest to download the latest flash files for your truck - you would just need to find a shop that has the hardware needed in order to do the flash. Your local dealer may or may not be willing to do it.

I still think your best bet would be to delete the DPF, EGR, and run a programmer to disable the regen cycles and shut down the EGR system. A 4" turbo-back exhaust could be built by any decent exhaust shop down there I would think, if you didn't want to order it and have it shipped. The EGR delete isn't all that complicated either - a few block off plates, gaskets, and unplug some wiring...

The programmers that I would recommend are the Smarty or either the Black Maxx or Mini Maxx from H&S. H&S also sells delete kits.

If you get a programmer, keep in mind that you could cause more problems if you aren't smart about the power settings, but when driven smartly they are perfectly safe.

Old 09-04-2011 | 12:42 PM
horatio102
Champion

Also - what is the sulfur content of the diesel fuel down there? How is motor oil graded down there?

Old 09-08-2011 | 09:58 PM
tech_support

black smoke from the tailpipe mean the dpf is cracked and needs to be replaced. Your loss of power could be from a bad turbo, You can clean the egr valve, egr cooler and DPF if want. They can be sprayed out with water. What codes are you throwing?

Quick Reply: Please help! DPF/EGR 2007 6.7L