Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

typical 24v oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default typical 24v oil leak?

whats up, just out of curiosity is there a typical oil leak that the 24v are known for?

i know the gas motors have their plenum gasket problem, is their anything typical of the cummins?

mine leaks oil, seems to be coming from somewhere fairly high, i typically see it dripping off of my pittman arm. but have not been able to diagnose it, albeit havent tried very hard.

i am planning to dive in and fix it very soon, just looking to know if there was anywhere i should start due to previous experience.

thanks for any help!

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 PM
tiger63
Rookie

Your 99 has what we call "the puke" tube which is located behind the radiator, its purpose is to collect the crank case spunk created while running. It can fill up and if the discharge is clogged or has a hole, the gunk goes everywhere.

Check this out prior to letting the stealer/dealer get ahold of you.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:40 PM
beefythedodge
Veteran

that sounds like a good place to start, so this "puke tube" is designed to dump the crankcase gunk...just out...

and if it gets clogged that can cause leaks, so i should just clean it out and that should clean up the underside of my truck. that is easy enough.

any other possibilities?

Quick Reply: typical 24v oil leak?