Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Smarty Jr. - XRTPro

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 04:36 PM
krsmitty
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smarty Jr. - XRTPro

Presently use a Smarty Jr on my 07 5.9 CTD. Thinking of upgrading to one of the H&S products; most likely a XRTPro.

Anyone happen to have went from a Smarty to H&S?

Any H&S users? Comments.

Thanks,

Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

What's the reasoning for wanting to switch? More power? Gauges? Switchable levels??

Answer those and you can get a better response to what would be best for you.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:02 AM
krsmitty
Amateur

Gauges...no. Have the Edge Insight.

Switchable levels (on-the-fly)...Yes. Can take around 8 minutes to change levels on the Smarty. I don't like POD so don't use it.

Have heard through a reliable source that the tunes MAY be better, provide more power, are more efficient than the Smarty. More or less why I am asking around to see if anyone else can verify or have any experience with Smarty/H&S or H&S itself.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:34 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

I will say, H&S is new to the 5.9 market, and there is VERY little feedback I've seen. So I can't really help you there.

Personally I don't see the need for adjustable levels, all the control you need is at your right foot. Is it worth it to ditch the Smarty for H&S? That's up for you to decide.

The only other potential option I could say is EFILive, and it doesn't support switchable tuning *yet*. They seem fairly confident that will be a feature in the somewhat near future.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:39 PM
krsmitty
Amateur

Originally Posted by scatpack_69
I will say, H&S is new to the 5.9 market, and there is VERY little feedback I've seen. So I can't really help you there.

Personally I don't see the need for adjustable levels, all the control you need is at your right foot. Is it worth it to ditch the Smarty for H&S? That's up for you to decide.

The only other potential option I could say is EFILive, and it doesn't support switchable tuning *yet*. They seem fairly confident that will be a feature in the somewhat near future.
I assume you keep your truck on a certain Smarty setting and keep it there?
Yes, your right foot can help when it comes to mpg/power. But, I assume that having the smarty on a lower setting has some benefits when it comes to mpg? For mpg MADS recommends using the Economy (#1 on the Jr.). Since I use my truck as a daily driver/towing I would like to easily switch between the power levels as needed. For example, use the Economy setting for my daily driving along with the right foot to get the best mpg. But, if want to have a little fun with a Ferd, I can switch to one of the power settings quickly, then switch back to economy when done. Same as when towing my 5er. Use the towing mode (#2) when needed, then switch back to Economy when cruising down the highway, where the extra power is not needed. Why I am looking for something with on-the-fly. Something that is not easy to do with the Smarty Jr.

I have heard great things about EFILive. But, more than I want to get into.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:24 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

My best mileage comes from the higher power levels. SW9 TNT is both a ~500hp at the wheels tune, and an easy 20mpg at 70 if I stay out of it. Timing adjustments play a big part in mileage also

Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 AM
krsmitty
Amateur

Yes, I agree on the timing. What MADS has told me. Run timing as advanced as possible unless you start getting a "rattle" then back it off. They also recommend backing the timing off when towing.

What about your torque management settings? The way I understand it...the LESS torgue management you have the more fuel that is used. MADS also recommended for mpg anyway, to keep torque management closer to stock for best mpg.

What settings do you use?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:20 AM
scatpack_69
All Star

I run TM on 2. 3 or 4 (the least TM) is a wicked smoke show out the pipe, but the less-than-stock TM provides for a better driving experience; stronger down low and more of a linear feel throughout the RPM range.

I've found on TM3, not only does fuel use go way up (often in belching smoke), but the truck feels doggier down low. Kind of like choking the turbo with smoke. And it tends to get the fuel hang when you let off quickly (fuel hang is where you let off the pedal, but it keeps going for a second or so before it drops the fuel).

Quick Reply: Smarty Jr. - XRTPro