Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Won't start after driving thru deep water

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Scuba Sam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start after driving thru deep water

I have a 05, 2500, 5.9L deisel, extended cab longbed. We had a flood a few days back and I had to cross a low water bridge (Texas dry wash) to our house. When I got to the low point of the crossing the water was over the headlights, but she pulled me thru.

The next morning it took longer cranking time for the engine to fire. During the day it started fine whenever I needed to go somewhere.

The next morning it would not start at all. I pulled the intake hose off the air filter box and shot ever so little starter fuel in the hose and it started right up.

Same scenario each day, won't start after sitting all nite but once starter fluid is used the engine fires up fine during the day.

I opened the drain on the fuel filter and no water. I do hear the fuel pump engage for about 30 seconds once the key is on and the heaters heat up.

Any idea what in the engine compartment that might have gotten wet/water inside that I need to check?

Thanks in advance.

SCUBA SAM

Old 09-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking if you sucked water into the cylinders, its propably blown out by now...

What about your fuse box/ecm?

Quick Reply: Won't start after driving thru deep water