Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New memeber seeking advise on QC diesels

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 06:48 PM
meirowitz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New memeber seeking advise on QC diesels

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of selling my Ford 04 F150, and looking at used Dodge diesels, preferably 4x4 manuals. The years range from 1995 up to 2002. I don't want to spend more than $15K, and really love the 3500 dually with manual either 5 or 6 speed. Most of these trucks have mileage at least 130K and higher (I am checking them out on Ebay Motors). What should I ask and look for with diesel motors? What should I expect to put in if its still original? I have Four Wheeler magazine, Sept, 05 and it looks like I should at least install a new Lift Pump, due to the weakness of the original (95-01). Any other info and advise would certainly help this ex-blue oval member.

Thanks,

Ted

Old 07-25-2005, 03:55 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: New memeber seeking advise on QC diesels

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/

and

http://www.turbodieselregister.com

Those are both EXCELLENT places for CTD information. I almost bought one, but ended up going with a V10 instead. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2005, 07:40 PM
meirowitz

Thanks for your help, I'll check out the site as well as call around my area and try and get a handle on diesels and what to expect with mileage over 100K. BTW, I had a F250 Crew with a V10 and 6spd. I loved it, but was too big. My gas mileage wasn't the greatest either, 11 and 15. Usually going down hills, I would shift into neutral and zoom for close to a mile. I was never into speeding and getting to the gas station that much sooner, especially now with prices at the pump.

Ted

Old 07-26-2005, 06:08 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I average around 13mpg with my V10, and I have the perfomance pcm...so I get to run premium gas in mine ....which is only $.02 cheaper than diesel. [:'(] Good thing I have other vehicles for day to day driving. I originally planned on using it as a plow truck for the winter, but have since found a place that has ex-government LOW mileage 70s Power Wagons for $5,000 and under. I'm going to pick one of those up for plowing (the 318 will be a lot easier on gas) and use my V10 for a tow rig/performance toy. [8D]

I'd like to pick up a CTD someday though...maybe when the 4th gen Rams come out.

Old 08-21-2005, 02:01 AM
bentwings

I have a 99 dually 5sp that is a daily driver. 140k no real problems yet. Just lift pump about 35k ago. I'm pretty easy on my stuff and drive for mileage. I get 20 hwy and 18-19 town.

winter driving with only the rear is a bit of a challenge but I make it a point not to get in situation where I may get stuck. Just pay attention. I'll probably get chains this year just in case.

I park where I want usually out in outer lots so the doors don't get dented and people don't walk into my big mirrors.

When it come time to tow...no problems so far. It will pull any camper or normal load easily. 10k load is hardly an exercise and still get 14-15 mpg.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:29 PM
meirowitz

Well I am back again People, and need advice on two trucks that I saw:

1. 1999 Cummins 5.9L w/Banks Power Pack system, duallie, auto 3.55 rear, 4x4, 174,000, and asking $14,950 on Ebay. From the photos, the truck looks nice and clean as well as the engine. One thought did cross my mind and that was the transmission. Any problems during that year and something I should know with all that mileage. What mpgs should I expect with this truck. This truck was from Florida and is selling in upstate New York.

2. The second truck is a 2001 2500 Cummins, 5.9, manual 5 spd. with 89903 miles, 3.55 rear. Asking price is $18,880. This truck is also lifted and is being sold down in Texas, again an Ebay sale. What gas mileage should I expect from this size truck. It looks pretty clean, and the mileage is half that of the '99 and only $4000 more. Am I thinking correctly, or is there something I am missing that I should know about this vehicle or both? All help would be much appreciated.

Ted

Quick Reply: New memeber seeking advise on QC diesels