Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Winter Front - When?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter Front - When?

I bought a winter front (Stainless Insert Type) for the beast last year around the middle of November when the wife was complaining that the truck was not warming up very well.. I'm wondering, its close to freezing here at night now, any issues with me putting it on yet? Is there any 'parameters' for determining when it should go on?

Cheers!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran

Holy hell didn't realize Ft McMurray was that far north. I got leary running my winterfronts (on my 01 Cummins) when the daytime was +40 F. I know the cooling system can handle it but I generally put them on when the snow came to stay. I just bought a 2011 Cummins so I think I'll be buying a set for this winter asap.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Cthulhu
Captain

Ya, its pretty far north. I decided to put it on today.. temperature had a high of 2C, so I figure it cannot hurt. I guess if the fan clutch locks up more than it should, that'll be a heads up to pull a panel or 2 off...

Anyhow, I figure, the less I need to warm it up in the morning, the better.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:24 PM
IssaquahWA1979
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have the mopar one since it has the Velcro flaps to adjust the airflow etc. I live in Washington State and it gets cool but not ridiculously cold here, I start to run it when our days get into the 40's and run it all winter with 2 of the flaps open unless it drops into the 20's then I close it completely...

I have run it into the 60's at the end of season without any issues and forgot to take it off once while driving down to California where is was in the 80's and realized it when the fan came on (I had the flaps open but the front still on so not complete restriction of air etc) and my engine temp was till normal...

Many say they are necessary but I say they are great as they keep the engine warmer and why force the engine to run cooler than it woudl like when its so easy to have a front on...

Quick Reply: Winter Front - When?