Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

surging problem actually the alternator???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
mxerchris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default surging problem actually the alternator???

a little back story so maybe this makes sense, 4 months ago I put in 275 injectors in my 99 Ram 3500 (164K) much improved power and fuel economy but started to notice what felt like a surge at cruising rpms lately it seems to have gotten a little worst then tonight I smell hot electrical wiring pull over at the Advance auto parts and look then realize that the alternator is screaming hot first thought its going bad so I go in Advance get a new one go to my shop put it on it runs and within 30 seconds the new one is getting so hot I cant touch it start feeling around on battery cables and such and nothing else seems hot then I unplug the small two wire plug on the back of the alternator and the engine idles up slightly as if a load has come off and the alternator starts cooling down! What exactly do the two wires do? Any suggestions what could pulling such a load on the alternator, also I left the plug unplugged and drove it turns out I was'nt feeling a surge but the alternator pulling the motor down. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 PM
mxerchris
Default new computer and still to much output on alternator?

idling my alternator is putting out 90-100 amps replaced the computer because of the internal regulator and its still doing it, also replaced the alternator itself and no change any suggestions on what might be causing this!

Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Mooneyac

Amps???
How are you measuring 90-100 amps?
What is the voltage when you get that amp reading?
The charging system is built to supply as much current as it is required to get your battery from about 12.5 V or so (depending on the state of it) until the voltage stabilizes at around 14.2 or so volts.
Just about the only time you will see that kind of current is when the stater is engage and it will be between the battery and starter after the initial spike on engagement.
It is more important to monitor the voltage that the amp. Anything other than 14.2 volts in normal operation should be looked at.
But I really can't see where you are getting 100 amps continuous???

Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Mooneyac

I just read your other post about the alternator almost glowing red from the heat!
Check the dark green (field) wire going to the alternator to make sure it is not grounded somewhere.

Hope this helps you.

Last edited by Mooneyac; 11-29-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: surging problem actually the alternator???