Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Programmer or Injector Nozzles

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 AM
a57chevy43
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer or Injector Nozzles

Im a proud new owner of a 2004 2500 5.9 with 6 speed. My question is which do yall consider better/safer for the engine? Im just coming off a bad deal of luck with an 06 Ford 6 Leaker and decidedto switch to acummins. I dont want to blow this one. I have had several people recomend the smarty jr and the superchips programmer. But yesterday the guy at our local part house said he could get 100 hp injector nozles cheaper than a programmer and that he believes that they are safer than a programmer. Another priority is increasing fuel mileage. Im getting 19+ hwy and have even seen up to 22 stock, assuming the guage is accurate and if I can improve that would be awesome. I was hoping some of you guys could share some experience.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:24 PM
jeff-ab9uw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't necessarily believe one is safer than the other. You will need supporting mods for injectors, fuel supply and turbo. Gauges, at least egt, would be important with either a programmer or injectors. I really think egt's would be hard to keep under control with 100 hp nozzles and no programmer to help with timing and boost fooling. Also, cheap 100 hp nozzles are just that, cheap. Good quality nozzles used to run ~$12-1300, if I remember right.

I strongly recommend a programmer to start with. I, personally, like the Smarty Sr for the 5.9's. I had it on my '06 and it was fantastic. You have the ability to tune "within limitations" the truck to how you want it and to take advantage of your mods. The Smarty isn't cheap @ about $685, but I think it's worth every penny.

Jeff.

Quick Reply: Programmer or Injector Nozzles