Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Which differential will fit 2006 Ram 3500 HD Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Inseino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which differential will fit 2006 Ram 3500 HD Diesel

Hey guys. A friend of mine just picked up a 2006 Ram 3500 HD 5.9 Diesel off an auction hoping there was only some light body damage. Turns out he got a little screwed and we're trying to figure out how to salvage the situation without busting his bank.

Everything can be pretty much fixed but the main problem is with the differential. It seems to be bent in a few places resulting in the toe to be an inch larger in the front than in the back of the wheels. Not only that, but the diff seems to be bent at an odd angle, even though the frame of the truck is in perfect shape.

Long story short, we've tried straightening out differentials before and it is time consuming and extremely difficult to get them to line up right. And we've never tackled one this badly bent.

Good news she runs great and there doesn't seem to be any damage to the internal components. So we've figured the cheapest route to go is to get a blown diff with high mileage and just swap out all the parts from one case to the other. The going rate for a working differential is about $2000 and that's going way over budget. I've found some scrap yards that claim to have cases for $300 to $500 but their info is sketchy and they're asking for all kinds of specs I just don't have access to. I would figure all the 3500 HD Diesels from 2004 to 2007 came with the same differentials or at least ones that will bolt right up to any cummins diesel within those years.

Question now is which other differentials will fit this truck? Can we make something work off of a different year and/or model? We're not really Dodge guys so we don't know much of what's out there. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Which differential will fit 2006 Ram 3500 HD Diesel