Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dodge Master Mechanics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Titan12345
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dodge Master Mechanics?

I have tried to find information on my gear selector issue. It does shift to Park but not always in the display window, thus the truck thinks it is in reverse and I cannot open the door and take my foot off the brake without the horn sounding. I understand it offers safety, but how can I correct the problem? It sounds like a switch is bad, but I don't know where to begin to look. ( Currently, I also have a turn signal, flasher issue where sometimes the left signal will go on, but it is positioned to go left. I push the flasher and it corrects itself. ) Are these two issues related? (Someone told me there is a soft recall on the turn signal issue, not sure?)

Any help is appreciated.( Trying to manage the little things wrong with the 06 dually I just bought. )
John

Old 01-04-2012, 01:00 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Titan12345
I have tried to find information on my gear selector issue. It does shift to Park but not always in the display window, thus the truck thinks it is in reverse and I cannot open the door and take my foot off the brake without the horn sounding. I understand it offers safety, but how can I correct the problem? It sounds like a switch is bad, but I don't know where to begin to look. ( Currently, I also have a turn signal, flasher issue where sometimes the left signal will go on, but it is positioned to go left. I push the flasher and it corrects itself. ) Are these two issues related? (Someone told me there is a soft recall on the turn signal issue, not sure?)

Any help is appreciated.( Trying to manage the little things wrong with the 06 dually I just bought. )
John
John,

There was a TSB on the alarm you mentioned that would seem to indicate your correct on the cause being the vehicle sensing that it is not in park. See below. If you PM me your VIN I can check for any recalls in regards to the turn signal issue. Do not believe that the multi function switch issue is related to the alarm issue though.

NUMBER: 21-023-05
GROUP: Transmission
DATE: November 11, 2005

SUBJECT:
Out Of Park Sense Alarm
MODELS:
2006 (DH/D1) Ram Truck
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 5.9L Turbo Diesel Engine
(sales code ETH).
DISCUSSION:
Vehicles with a diesel engine and an automatic transmission are equipped with an alarm
that warns the customer, upon exiting the vehicle, that the transmission is not in the “Park”
position. This feature will only be functional under following conditions:
· engine running
· foot off the brake pedal
· driver’s seat belt is unbuckled
· driver’s door is open.
When this feature is triggered the horn will sound, the high beams and turn signal lamps
will flash. This will continue until one of the following conditions is met:
· engine is turned off
· transmission is in “Park”
· driver’s seat belt is buckled
· brakes applied.
NOTE: THIS FEATURE IS STANDARD EQUIPMENT AND CANNOT BE DISABLED.
POLICY:
Information Only

Old 01-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The shift linkage could be out of adjustment and the warrenty for the multifunction switch was extended to 10 years / 150,000 miles on 2006 3500 models.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Titan12345
Professional
Default Extended Warranty

Tizzy1, that is great news. I only have 113,000. I will check it out....

Thanks

Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Titan12345
Professional

It looks like I need to check the mechanical linkage, can you tell me how to approach this? Is it the linkage in the steering column or the linkage that connect the gear shift all the way to the transmission?
Thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Titan12345
Professional

Tizzy,I checked with that today. You just saved me some money. The dealership didn't tell me about the extended warranty. I had to inquire. Hopefully they can check out the linkage issue at the same time and I can getbout of the dealer relatively cheap. Oh, wait. I just spent $400 for brake parts. Thanks again! John

Old 01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Plow Man

Originally Posted by Titan12345

John
John,
The 06 at work was having the same issues.....it is a 2500 4x4. The dealer at first said the turn signal switch was not under warranty. My friend the parts MGR said that Dodge sold like 700 of them last month. So I told the service mgr to look into it. They covered it. I told them its a safty issue.
As far as the Park linkage they adjusted somthing and it fixed the park - horn blasting...

Old 01-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Titan12345
Professional

That's good to hear. I just need to take advantage of the extended warranty period to 150,000 miles jb

Quick Reply: Dodge Master Mechanics?