Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

hydraulic clutch issues could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
clayman302
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic clutch issues could use some advice

Please dont flame me I just dont know who else to ask.

Ok so I have a 73 f250 that I did a 1991 12v cummins swap to. It has the getrag 5 speed in it but setting up the hydraulic clutch has proved to be a nightmare

Alright so I have the hydraulic line ran, slave and master installed. The slave and line is the original dodge line the slave (just replaced) is dodge. I used a 95 f250 master cylinder (also new) because it was bolt in and didnt want to deal with the dodge master because it was a twist in style and the bracket for the dodge is part of the clutch/brake pedal bracket and I cant find one to cut apart. So I figured (which may be the problem) It should work because the bore on both masters is 7/8 but when I installed everything and bled the air out the pedal goes solid barely budges and the slave moves maybe a 1/4 inch, but it works when i unbolt it and have someone push the clutch. I checked the clutch on the tranny to make sure it wasnt frozen up and it works when I actuate it by hand/prybar.

so do you think there maybe something different between the master cylinders? I also heard something about there being checkballs in the lines.can anyone point out where im going wrong? Ive looked around everywhere and asked alot of people but nobody has been able to help. Anything would be appreciated

Thank you

Quick Reply: hydraulic clutch issues could use some advice