Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

4x4 not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 AM
spdrmn282
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 not engaging

I have a 2002 Laramie Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins 5 speed w/136,k miles.I replaced the driver`s side wheel assembly a couple years ago myself.Had to use the press at work and it took awhile , but no issues. Last March I was getting new tires and the tech showed me that the passenger`s side was going to go soon.They did it for around $200 in labor, well worth I thought. The day after they did it I noticed some fluid splashed on my rim on that wheel. I wiped it off thinking maybe they used anti seize like I did when they installed it.Never saw it again so didn`t worry about it.I tried using the 4 wheel drive for the first time a couple of days ago and the passenger side chatters like I`m driving over the ridges they put in the emergency lanes on the interstates. When I`m accelerating it seems fine,when I let off the gas everything shakes and I hear a high pitch chatter like the bearing`s shot.Naturally I`m 200 miles past the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty on the wheel assembly.I keep finding drawings of the vacuum type shift systems that engage the two front axles.My truck doesn`t have this even though the internet keeps telling me I do.What does my truck have and does anybody have a schematic?I assume the wheel assemblies are active all the time.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
spdrmn282
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All right nevermind figured it out. No vacuum system in mine, just a shifter. Found out the wheel assembly that was replaced is already bad, causing vibration when I let off the accelerator. 12,300 miles after it was replace and I find it after using 4 wheel drive. That`s what I get for letting someone else install it. Probably tried to torque it with air and never checked it with a regular torque wrench. Quick change bastards will get theirs in the end!

Quick Reply: 4x4 not engaging