Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

girl that doesnt want to be taken advantage of...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
lizbethj78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That I dont know, it didnt really sound right to me. I had run two tanks of Lucas through the fuel when they tested it.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
lizbethj78

Is the 101-104 terribly bad? Why would it read over 100?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:25 PM
GTXpress
Professional

The chip could have hurried the wear of the injectors. The chip turns up pressures, but the injectors are only capable of working at stock pressures. So working outside their bounds will speed wear. Usually if you are having a problem with leaking injector solenoids you will have a hard start issue as the fuel pressure would bleed to the injector thats leaking.

The injectors in this engine are controlled by the CPU.

If you have a couple places all saying injectors then... Replace the injectors and ditch the chip.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by lizbethj78
Is the 101-104 terribly bad? Why would it read over 100?
i am a service writer for dodge, chrysler llc corp.

is there any fault codes? ask first, ask how they came up with the diagnosis, if they can understand it, so can you MAKE SURE YOUR SERVICE ADVISOR EXPLAINS EVEYHING TO YOU.

And remember dont pay until your vehicle is fixed, make sure you get everything in writing, especially if you feel sketched out.

try ditc hing the chip first, might be ur whole problem.....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 PM
lizbethj78

There were no bad codes, just the uneven and unsteady numbers reading off each of the injectors. None of the reading stayed at one number, varried from 1-3. The place that used the machine said that was why he diagnosed as he did.

Dodge didnt plug it in but said the way it came down from 3000 rpm so roughly was what told him that he didnt even have to plug it in.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM
lizbethj78

I dont have $3k if thats not the problem but I have already paid to get a diagnosis so this is frustrating. I am sorry for my confusion and all my questions. I appreciate all the advise. Please, keep any thoughts coming....Evaluating EVERYTHING! Would definately not look twice on the rapair cost if I was sure this would be the fix.
Will see whats involved with removing the Bully Dog.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:54 PM
GTXpress
Professional

It most likely your injectors. Which one or how many I am not sure. Just at first it didnt seem like it. But as it gets worse you will probably start experiencing hard start issues, and possibly no start conditions. If this begins happening before you repair anything it points to injectors again.

You could always purchase reman injectors from a Diesel Specialties type place and put them in yourself, or have someone do it.

Is your check engine light on? Go to an auto parts store or call an auto parts store and see if they can read from your computer. Then they can tell you what codes are reading. I wouldnt take it back to the shop that wont show you what the computer is saying. Thats part of the reason these engines have computers, is so they can control more accurately, and communicate to a technician more accurately. Diligently try and find a place that will read the codes on your truck. Then go from there, the computer knows more than any technician.

As for the chip, if the chip has done any damage, the damage is done. Taking the chip off wont fix anything. Taking the chip off will prevent future damage. Unless you upgrade your system, then the chip will be fine. But a chip on a stock system is asking for damage.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 AM
89newbie
Captain

Originally Posted by varnerhba
i am a service writer for dodge, chrysler llc corp.

is there any fault codes? ask first, ask how they came up with the diagnosis, if they can understand it, so can you MAKE SURE YOUR SERVICE ADVISOR EXPLAINS EVEYHING TO YOU.

And remember dont pay until your vehicle is fixed, make sure you get everything in writing, especially if you feel sketched out.

try ditc hing the chip first, might be ur whole problem.....
I read the post earlier this morning and took some time to think about this one. Here is what I am not understanding on it. I can believe the hot chip could overfeed the injectors and cause premature injector wear. I also have a problem with a no code situation from the truck. The other thught in my mind is could the chip be feeding wrong information to cause eratic injector feed, I don't think so because a signal is a signal but I don't know either. Before I jumped into the injector change I agree chip change probably would be a good first step, assuming the old chip is still in your posession. I also about fell off my chair at the cost of the injector change. I checked yahoo quick and found a post where a guy changed his own, spent about a grand for the parts but it is a time consuming process. The other post here telling you to get backup pricing is sound reasoning. Two years ago I needed a repair that the local Ford Dealer wanted $2000.00 for and took it to another Ford dealer in a less expensive cost of living area. Total job cost ,exact same job, was $800.00. Just like everything else It pays to shop.

Last edited by 89newbie; 01-28-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add content
Old 01-28-2012, 12:10 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by 89newbie
I read the post earlier this morning and took some time to think about this one. Here is what I am not understanding on it. I can believe the hot chip could overfeed the injectors and cause premature injector wear. I also have a problem with a no code situation from the truck. The other thught in my mind is could the chip be feeding wrong information to cause eratic injector feed, I don't think so because a signal is a signal but I don't know either. Before I jumped into the injector change I agree chip change probably would be a good first step, assuming the old chip is still in your posession. I also about fell off my chair at the cost of the injector change. I checked yahoo quick and found a post where a guy changed his own, spent about a grand for the parts but it is a time consuming process. The other post here telling you to get backup pricing is sound reasoning. Two years ago I needed a repair that the local Ford Dealer wanted $2000.00 for and took it to another Ford dealer in a less expensive cost of living area. Total job cost ,exact same job, was $800.00. Just like everything else It pays to shop.

i see cars that come in all day for diagnosis pay 52.50$ for me to remove a stupid little jet chip or bully dog, yes it feeds the computer a false signal if that part malfunctions, there could be other things, sometimes i get the feeling chrysler pcms just dont like chips, best thing to do, REMOVE the bullydog and put back to original settings, then RESET THE PCM JUST LEAVE THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE OFF OVERNIGHT, test drive for 100 miles, IF there is a problem with the injectors the light should come on first.....or maybe you dont have all of them bad, or maybe its not that if your pluming black smoke its because you have fuel that isnt being burnt, matbe you have a glowplug issue? try a different dealer, my dealer charges 52.50 for BASIC diagnosis work.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by GTXpress
It most likely your injectors. Which one or how many I am not sure. Just at first it didnt seem like it. But as it gets worse you will probably start experiencing hard start issues, and possibly no start conditions. If this begins happening before you repair anything it points to injectors again.

You could always purchase reman injectors from a Diesel Specialties type place and put them in yourself, or have someone do it.

Is your check engine light on? Go to an auto parts store or call an auto parts store and see if they can read from your computer. Then they can tell you what codes are reading. I wouldnt take it back to the shop that wont show you what the computer is saying. Thats part of the reason these engines have computers, is so they can control more accurately, and communicate to a technician more accurately. Diligently try and find a place that will read the codes on your truck. Then go from there, the computer knows more than any technician.

As for the chip, if the chip has done any damage, the damage is done. Taking the chip off wont fix anything. Taking the chip off will prevent future damage. Unless you upgrade your system, then the chip will be fine. But a chip on a stock system is asking for damage.
in california its illegal for auto parts store to give out a free diagnosis, idk about other states.....

Quick Reply: girl that doesnt want to be taken advantage of...