Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

poor fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM
chich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poor fuel mileage

Im an old guy but a new guy. Need help from you pros. 2011 dodge ram 350 cummins turbo diesel standard shift. 7000 miles and only 12 or 13 mpg. Cant take it. Any aftermarket parts that I can put on to substancially improve the MPG and not void my warranty. Or is their anything that can be put on and then taken off easily by me who knows nothing about this so I dont void this warranty? Live in Northern NY

Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

If you want to keep your warranty your mostly out of luck, you could try to see if unplugging the EGR valve will help other then that the only way to really improve your mpg is to do a H&S DPF delete, EGR block along with an H&S programmer.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Mopartech84

If you d/c the egr valve it will not help your fuel economy issue. All the egr does is cool the combustion event with inert exhaust to reduce nox. The reason the 6.7 does not get great mpg is due to the post combustion injection used to burn off particulates in the dpf. And the amount of exhaust restriction from the pre cat, cat dpf and muffler. To improve your millage you can remove the epa parts on your truck and gain 4 mpg and void your warranty. Dont try those high flow airfilters they are bull**** and destroy diesels. I have seen more than 7 engines die this way and others not far behind. Diesels move a massive quantity of air and need good filtration. you wont notice and gain from these filters or hot air kits and the lost engine protection isnt worth the little extra whistle you hear from the turbo. So whats it gonna be. Say **** you to the atmosphere we breathe because you dont feel like paying a little more for modest mpg and a clean running truck. Or own up to the responsibility of owning a large truck and quit your bitchin you got a vehicle that will handle a lot of **** and ask for seconds. There is more to this world than your wallet and right foot.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

IMHO do the H&S delete and say F U to the dumb @ss tree hugger/greenies as they are not the ones not paying the fuel bill for your truck...

Old 01-27-2012, 01:01 PM
DodgeFreq
Rookie

or you could split the difference and try and limit what your truck is powering. like putting a dynatrack free spin hub conversion so that you arent still putting power to your front axel however small it might be, or an aftermarket intake for more air thats colder and more dense. or putting a camper shell and low rolling resistance tires on your truck. and by the way all the things i just listed where done to a 6.7L and dont void the warranty heres the link to all the articles http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/page2.html just read any of them that say 6.7L upgrades that wont void your warranty

Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
FORANE
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mopartech84
If you d/c the egr valve it will not help your fuel economy issue. All the egr does is cool the combustion event with inert exhaust to reduce nox. The reason the 6.7 does not get great mpg is due to the post combustion injection used to burn off particulates in the dpf. And the amount of exhaust restriction from the pre cat, cat dpf and muffler. To improve your millage you can remove the epa parts on your truck and gain 4 mpg and void your warranty. Dont try those high flow airfilters they are bull**** and destroy diesels. I have seen more than 7 engines die this way and others not far behind. Diesels move a massive quantity of air and need good filtration. you wont notice and gain from these filters or hot air kits and the lost engine protection isnt worth the little extra whistle you hear from the turbo. So whats it gonna be. Say **** you to the atmosphere we breathe because you dont feel like paying a little more for modest mpg and a clean running truck. Or own up to the responsibility of owning a large truck and quit your bitchin you got a vehicle that will handle a lot of **** and ask for seconds. There is more to this world than your wallet and right foot.
Hey Mopar
I have read and heard many say the epa parts significantly decrease not just mileage but longevity of the 6.7 motor. What are your thoughts in that regard?

Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Mopartech84

Lol my last post had some dumb shift in it! to say the least a very bad day anyway. As far as the longevity for the 6.7 being sacrificed for the epa. I have seen some 6.7,s at 250k. I think the after treatment system and egr are not going to have an effect on the mechanical reliability due to the fact that that the engine is tuned pretty mildly to pass tailpipe tests. I have been able to talk with cummins engineer's at the training center in cincinatti and the 5.9 and 6.7 have a lot more hp and torque they could produce and remain reliable. These engines are of industrial design adapted for automotive. So i would not worry about the longevity. If you want your diesel to be running into the 300k you need to keep your fuel clean!stick with the mopar filter it is dual element with 5 and 10 micron filters that strip water and dirt the best. (service the filter at 9k) keep ontop of oil and coolant leaks and oil changes with intervals according to your driving. You will be good to go. And if you want a big old fuel tank in the bed just get a plastic tank(metal rusts and leaks) and check and change the filter. i have changed more injectors and injection pumps due to tanks in the bed with poor or no filter and lack of the primary filter getting serviced. I understand the bit of animosity for the last post and it was well deserved. But really i just want to promote good knowledge so your trucks work their best for you. That my Caropratic oath. I made it up kinda dumb but whatever you get the idea.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you made that last post MoparTech as I was gonna tear into you... and likely get banned...

Thanks for coming back down to reality.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:01 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You cannot say the emissions controls won't negatively impact the longevity of the 6.7. Look at the facts...

Increased fuel dilution in the oil due to the regeneration process.
Increased soot load in the oil due to the EGR system.

So you're cutting the lubricating ability of the oil and washing the bearings and cylinders of their oil coat, and then grinding carbon molecules into those inadequately lubricated surfaces.

Will the 6.7 last a long time, sure. Will it last longer if the soot and diesel are kept out of the oil? Most definitely.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Mopartech84

Yes its true that there is extra soot from the egr and adding more soot to the oil does not help lubrication. As far as the fuel dillution of oil from the post injection some will get into the oil but having the ccv(closed crankcase ventialtion helps control that. Not 100 percent of course. The reason i felt the effect of the epa cans was mild because of what the engines look like when you take them apart with over 200k. The piston walls still have crosshatching that shows Minute wear. the rods and main bearings have minor wear. the kind you would see in a gas motor taken down at 40k. But i do admit to the condition of fuel and extra soot will cause more wear. but the stock system's longevity still is good. Most motors will see their end from improper maintenance or a wreck.

Quick Reply: poor fuel mileage