Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

oh, I love Cali.. catalytic converter story

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:41 AM
sklise@hotmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry oh, I love Cali.. catalytic converter story

Just an FYI, due to 2010 smog laws passed in the now broke d!ck state of California. They have started to smog test our wonderful diesel trucks..

If the truck was not made in cali, and was brought in, your probebly ok (for now). My rig was made in cali, and the dude I bought it from, just staight piped her. SHe was growling, now shes puring.. Feels a bit sluggish, but whatever.. ( have no mods)

Also, they noted the Edge chip I had, which I pulled off since it was causing a code to throw, and it was the high or low rail pressure (felt like it was running out of fuel..). Anyhow, they said if you had a recient purchase (from edge for example) you maybe ok...., all the performance vendors are scrambling to meet the California "new" standard...

Its a joke

They look for stuff under the hood thats not standard. Also they rev the engine to a certain RPM and look for the smoke to disipate.. .I had a long talk with the smog tester and he went to the capital to discuss standards.. Basically, if you have illegal stacks, got loads of toys, your jacked.. He said the folks running this new smog thing were REALLY a joke, and didn't know squat.

I got mine (used exahust system) from a guy that got his exhaust from a place called dodge only in Sac or somthing like that (can't find the number..or website). They sold it to dude for like 6 or 750; entire end to end. I got mine from that guy (he didn't need it any longer) for 550.

Freakin dealer wanted 1310.00 (just for the cat) and there are NO aftermarket cats allowed, or so I am told as of this date..

Yet another reason to leave... uhgrr ur uh um, stay in Cali..
550 for cat
100 for cat install
75 for inspection (had a free re-inspect)
725.00 for the total smog (oh, and the tags are 450.00)

oh, and if your a 98 or earlier (which were greater polluters) a E X E M P T!
peace...

Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try buying the exhaust for a 6.7 - figure you'd be lucky to get it for 10 times what you paid.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, its not a cat, its a dpf (diesel particulate filter) it just catches soot. Cats cause a chemical reaction to break down unused fuel.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:43 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adukart - his truck doesn't have a DPF, but it should have a cat. DPFs weren't added until 2007.5

Old 02-07-2012, 04:55 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by horatio102
adukart - his truck doesn't have a DPF, but it should have a cat. DPFs weren't added until 2007.5
Sorry thought he said 2010, but that was the year that of the regulations. My bad.........

Quick Reply: oh, I love Cali.. catalytic converter story