Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Long bed or short bed

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM
Loose Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long bed or short bed

I'm ready to buy, but still undecided on the bed length. I want long bed so i can put a weather guard tool box in the bed and still have room. Yet i don't want to feel like I'm driving a tractor trailer either. Any thoughts or opinions.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a MegaCab shortbox, which is the same length as a quadcab long box. I find it amazingly agile and not a big deal to handle in parking lots. On the highway it travels amazingly well. I'd say if you can only get the toolbox that'll make your working life easier, then go for it. There'll be times you'll find it will behave as a large truck, but hey, that's what it is. The short boxes are nice, but they have their shortcomings too.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Jayhall

I have a fuel tank and tool box combo in my quad cab long box. Its 30" front to back and with the space I have free its just like having a short box at my disposal. Room for a quad or dirt bike for sure. Its a big truck no matter how short or long the box is I'd say go big or go home if you are worried about not having enough space. I have still yet to find a parking lot or space I couldnt fit into. Its just a matter of learning your new truck.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:14 PM
truck42
Amateur

buy both...

i have had 3 now. the one long bed reg cab and the short bed quad cab were the same wheel base. now i have a long bed quad cab duelly and it take a block to turn around.
i like both long beds you can always fit a sheet of plywood or anything else in it.
Truck

Old 02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Loose Neutral

We like to camp, so I want to be able to fit the bikes in the back. Minds made up, thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both, short box quad cabs (08 and now a 98) and a reg cab long bed 86.

I got a tracrac setup for my 08, tool box slides wherever I want it or out completely with just a twist of a couple *****. I also got the rack towers for larger objects - lumber, kayaks, etc. There isn't much that I need the long bed for.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 AM
nibroc
Captain
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

flat bed for me

Quick Reply: Long bed or short bed