Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Low End Vibration and White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 PM
minex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low End Vibration and White Smoke

I ended up taking a road trip over the weekend and just got back. However, I started experiencing a weird issue with the truck during this trip. It started yesterday and was intermittent. At low rpms, when giving gas, the entire truck shakes. I noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust when this happens. This happened maybe 4 times during the trip on about a mile stretch of road then would clear up for awhile. It got a bit worse on the way back, but cleared up when I got in town. Also, when I cruising at high speeds or have the truck revving higher, it feels fine. Also, the warning light or engine light is NOT on.

Any ideas?

I should mention that my truck information is in my signature.

Last edited by minex; 02-19-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by minex
I ended up taking a road trip over the weekend and just got back. However, I started experiencing a weird issue with the truck during this trip. It started yesterday and was intermittent. At low rpms, when giving gas, the entire truck shakes. I noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust when this happens. This happened maybe 4 times during the trip on about a mile stretch of road then would clear up for awhile. It got a bit worse on the way back, but cleared up when I got in town. Also, when I cruising at high speeds or have the truck revving higher, it feels fine. Also, the warning light or engine light is NOT on.

Any ideas?

I should mention that my truck information is in my signature.

Minex,

I could find no service bulletins regarding the issue as you describe. It almost sounds like there may have been water in the fuel. If this condition continues after another fill up I would recommend a trip to the dealer or your repair shop to have it checked out.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
minex
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Minex,

I could find no service bulletins regarding the issue as you describe. It almost sounds like there may have been water in the fuel. If this condition continues after another fill up I would recommend a trip to the dealer or your repair shop to have it checked out.
Thanks... I drove it around town and it was doing it pretty bad today, so I dropped it by the shop. I wont hear anything for a few days though.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:17 PM
minex
Veteran

I just got a call from the shop. They said two of my injectors were bad and need replacing. Luckily, its covered under warranty, so no cost out of my pocket. Do injectors go bad easily? This is the second time I've had to bring the truck in to get the injectors replaced. I had one go bad at around 24,000 miles and two more go bad at 55,000 miles.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by minex
I just got a call from the shop. They said two of my injectors were bad and need replacing. Luckily, its covered under warranty, so no cost out of my pocket. Do injectors go bad easily? This is the second time I've had to bring the truck in to get the injectors replaced. I had one go bad at around 24,000 miles and two more go bad at 55,000 miles.

Minex,

Could not find any bulletins on the injectors but there are plenty about the use of contaminated fuel. I am glad they are able to fix it for you and cover it under warranty.

Quick Reply: Low End Vibration and White Smoke