Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Boost leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 PM
FORANE
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost leak

I recently replaced my injectors.

I heard a boost leak so I got a boost leak tester and found 2 or 3 leaks. I have fixed them all except for at the grid heater to intake manifold gasket. I tried tightening the bolts - didn't work. I bought new grid heater gaskets - didn't work. I don't want to try gasket sealant because I understand the gaskets are semi-metallic for grounding the grid heater. It's not a horrendous leak, but I can hear it under acceleration.

Any suggestions?

Another issue, I only am getting 10 mpg mostly city driving since installing the injectors. Lie-o-meter says 14 mpg, but hand calculated is 10 mpg. Truck runs great, starts great, just sucks at mpg...
2006 3500 QCLB dually 4x4. Is this to be expected?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

I would say get the leak fixed some how, as for the poor mpg I have heard & read many complaints lately of poor mpg after installed reman/rebuilt injectors, did they use the new style injector tubes or just use your old ones? have read that the the new ones require more TQ for them to fully seat/seal.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
FORANE
Amateur

Originally Posted by DBLR
I would say get the leak fixed some how, as for the poor mpg I have heard & read many complaints lately of poor mpg after installed reman/rebuilt injectors, did they use the new style injector tubes or just use your old ones? have read that the the new ones require more TQ for them to fully seat/seal.
Hey DBLR

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I agree I need to work on the boost leak again. The more I read, the more it looks like a boost leak can really kill MPG. Wonder how much I can torque the intake grid heater bolts before I snap one...

I installed the injectors myself. They were reman injectors - stock. I re-used my old style injector tubes. They looked good so I polished them with emory cloth and reinstalled them.

I have read some posts indicating poor MPG for a period of time after injector replacement. I have no idea what would cause that unless it is a problem created during injector replacement such as boost leak which is later addressed.

Last edited by FORANE; 04-19-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Boost leak