Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

need tranny help asap..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 02:32 AM
kbsheppard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need tranny help asap..

Hi,I have an 03 Dodge 3500 5.9 automatic.. In route to KY with a loaded 40ft gooseneck and currently in cullman,AL ..
Tranny been slipping today mainly in low gears, hi gear too but not as bad,, can roll 70 mph on interstate,, all the gears seem to be there. thinking maybe the converter going out..shifts around 2500 rpm and drops to around 1900 rpm.. shift into hi gear around 65 mph. just came off I65 and got a hotel.. ran ok on interstate.. but barely moved in parking lot.. really need to get load delivered friday..not familiar with this area as i am passing through..any idea of problem? cost to repair? time frame? good shop? any help,advice would be appreciated..Not broke,just broke down..
me.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 AM
kbsheppard

transmission serviced at dealer couple months ago, no leaks, full of fluid.. thanks

Old 04-22-2012, 05:17 PM
hillbilli
Veteran

Possibly TC by the sounds of it. Check the fluid level and condition. Dark/brownish is bad and burnt. Did you make it to KY?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:31 AM
kbsheppard

Heres the scoop, made it to KY and then home to TX,I made it to a dealership in TN and they said the only thing they could find wrong was too much tranny fluid. so they set it to the proper level. drove it another 400 miles and seemed to being doing much better after it worked the air out of the system. and the whining stopped..I had recently had the tranny and rearend serviced at my local dealership..Shortly after i noticed a whining so i took back to the dealer on a saturday,, they told me to bring back on Monday.. So i took it to another local dealership and told them i think the rearend is whining..they checked it and said the gear oil was clean and rearend was at proper level..basically said i was hearing things..took it back to the original dealership yesterday(one who over serviced transmission) had them change oil and fuel filter and they deducted the expense from TN dealership.. got it back at end of the day..As i was leaving i noticed it did not seem to have 1st gear..also noticed they had driven it approximately 12 miles..it was close of business so i am taking it back this morning...So i do not know if its the converter or the transmission..do not know if the dealership is going to accept any responsability for this....I haul freight with this truck and i take it to the dealership so i dont have to deal with ignorant problems...i dont mind paying the high price for quality work..but i expect it to be done correct..any thoughts?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM
hillbilli
Veteran

Dont quote me on this, but I believe if you overfill the trans the fluid can foam up under load and prevent lubrication of parts. I hope that is not the case with yours and the dealership didnt just toast your tranny when they did that.

Quick Reply: need tranny help asap..