Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fass vs. air dog

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012 | 10:58 AM
Crackshot
Professional

I replaced mine with a Air Dog Raptor factory replacement pump. 316.00 bucks.
Built like a tank. Worth every penny. My idle PSI is 16 lbs and 10 - 12 putting foot into it towing 7500 - 8000 lbs up hill.

Old 08-16-2012 | 09:42 AM
macs10

I just installed a AirDog2 model 165 on my stock 2003 3500 dodge ram 4x4 the amount of work to install is really a pain and the instructions are the worst. It is a great pump one HUGE issue I unswrewed the new filter that came with it and discovered all kinds of black plastic dibris. What is occuring is the holes inside the filter rub on two small plastic parts inside. Now my truck has a miss which I must assume is a plugged injector and Air dog will not answer e-mails and on the phone claim yes the debris is a problem just use a diffrent filter WTF. poor engineering poor customer service.

Old 08-18-2012 | 01:08 PM
Jigabop
Champion

that's kinfa F'ed up..

the older airdogs are flawless. had my airdog150 on for 3+ years now not a single issue with the unit. opened it up the other day and the pump GeRotor still looks brand new!

I have heard a lot of horror stories about the new airdogs having quality problems and manufacturing issues.

I dunno where the hell plastic is coming from, but if they are using plastic in the new pumps, that scares me...

the old pumps are all steel and aluminum. no plastic at all.

Also those quick connect fittings tend to leak air...the older airdogs came with hydraulic JIC fittings. I just sold an old one to someone the other day that was bought same day mine was, but only had 1 hour use on the pump itself and nothing else in the kit was touched. (had to test to see if my pump had an issue due do dropping fuel pressure...turned out to be a crack in my gauge line that leaked all my fluid out between gauge and chemical isolator)

Old 08-18-2012 | 01:09 PM
Jigabop
Champion

Originally Posted by Crackshot
I replaced mine with a Air Dog Raptor factory replacement pump. 316.00 bucks.
Built like a tank. Worth every penny. My idle PSI is 16 lbs and 10 - 12 putting foot into it towing 7500 - 8000 lbs up hill.
you might want to bump up the pressure a couple psi...pull the spring out and give it a little stretch.

big line kit would also help greatly..

I idle at 18, cruise at 17, WOT with my mods and electronics set to kill: 16psi...

big like kit and 1/2" draw straw dramatically reduce fuel pressure drop between idle and WOT

Quick Reply: fass vs. air dog