Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

fass vs. air dog

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012 | 09:50 PM
dodge626
|
Professional
Default fass vs. air dog

hey guys in the future i want to get an aftermarket lift pump and i have read good things about the fass pumps and i like what i have seen about them but then again i was told by a guy who has owned some diesels that air dogs are just as good but cheaper. if i were to get the fass i am looking at the platinum pump set up because i dont plan on doing much more with the truck. what i want to know is what do you guys think what are you guys running? i have also herd or read somewhere that if you running a turner that a lift pump like this will really wake up the tuner. then today on a site i read that a tuner with out one of these lift pump might be robbing me of power instead of helping with power and it might be killing my fuel system. i dont know how much of that is true but thats what the site said. so give me your input on all this. thanks in advance guys

Old 04-28-2012 | 11:06 AM
horatio102
Champion

I'm running an airdog 150. I had it on my 2008, then changed the pressure spring and put it on my 1998 when I bought it.

The problem with running a programmer without a better lift pump is that your stock setup isn't going to provide enough fuel to both satisfy the demand of the engine AND to over supply the injection pump so that it can return the extra fuel to the tank. Depending on the programmer and what setting you have it turned up to, you could be starving your engine for fuel too.

FASS and Airdog, to the best of my memory, are owned by the same family. There seems to have been a bit of a feud in the family and they split up. There seem to be some design similarities between the two, for obvious reasons.

Old 04-29-2012 | 12:39 PM
dodge626
|
Professional

i have the edge attitude set on level 3 which is driving mode and i dont seem to be getting the mileage that i thought i should be getting. i am looking at the platinum series one by fass its the one with one filter. to me it seems to be a good choice for me i dont plan on going all out with my truck just a few other things. i had someone tell me to get the air dog because it was cheaper and just as good as the fass. i did not know that they were the same family tho that is new to me. so im not sure what to do yet. any info from you guys about any of this will be great and thanks for what you have said so far.

Old 05-01-2012 | 06:17 PM
Jigabop
Champion

the fass is physically larger, and noisier. Airdog is physically smaller and quieter.

both are excellent pumps and have a lifetime warranty. can't go wrong with either...

Old 05-02-2012 | 04:45 PM
dodge626
|
Professional

how loud the pump is wont bother me at all i dont plan on doing much more mods to my truck so thats why i was thinking of getting the platinum series one from fass but i havent decided yet. i do need a fuel pressure gauge would it be smart to wait till i get a lift pump or put one on now? and is it true that the tuner will really wake up when i put on an aftermarket lift pump? thanks for all the info guys

Old 05-02-2012 | 05:41 PM
Jigabop
Champion

it will keep you from starving the CP3 pump which in turn will help keep rail pressure up.

definitely something to get. I personally run airdog150 and love it. (other than the 1/4 tank issues, but fass suffers from the same issues. people have worked around it by getting vulcan DS-V in jeep liberty canisters, or a hellman sump in the tank) comes with 1/2" draw straw, and 1/2" fuel line from the tank, all the way to the injection pump.

keeps up with fuel demand no sweat.

as for waking up your truck: If your truck is a common rail, ditch that edge and get a smarty. smarty is by far the best tuner for your truck.

for gauges, always a good idea to have a fuel pressure gauge, but they aren't as important on a common rail truck as they are on a vp44 truck. Now rail pressure gauge is a bit important on your truck. too low or too high can cause issues.

Old 05-02-2012 | 07:07 PM
dodge626
|
Professional

to be honest if i didnt buy the truck with the edge on it i probably wouldnt have a tuner on my truck at all they arent cheap. and i believe my trucks is a common rail and from things i read i was always under the understanding that you want a fuel pressure gauge? i want to get a lift pump a cold air intake and change to the banks intercooler kit that comes with the intake horn. want to do this mostly for better mpg i know that will give me more power to but thats not so much my goal as the mpg is. i have also always thought and read that changing the lift pump on these trucks is a really good thing to do. not going to be doing everything all at once tho dont have the money for it. thanks for the info tho

Old 05-03-2012 | 12:05 PM
Jigabop
Champion

avoid banks products on cummins. they make good stuff for duramax, but for cummins their products aren't the greatest.

no need for an intercooler stock one is just fine and will support 600hp no sweat.

now stock intake horn on the 3rd gens is lacking. you can go cheap and swap for a second gen's intake horn, or you can get any of several aftermarket intake horns.

smarty tuner has fuel economy modes and the increased timing helps with economy as well.

fuel pressure gauges are important, but not as important on a 3rd gen as they are on a second gen. your injection pump isn't nearly as prone to fail from low fuel pressure as a vp44 is. rail pressure gauge is an important gauge on 3rd gens though since 3rd gens are prone to injector failure.

Old 05-03-2012 | 04:36 PM
dodge626
|
Professional

thanks for all the input and to be honest why does everyone put banks down? i have researched and read reviews about banks products for my truck i have found more good reports on them then i have bad ones. my edge has mileage setting on it to i choose to run a different setting i have played around with the settings to see which one gets me better mileage. the rail pressure gauge is that just like a fuel pressure gauge but up on the rail? this my be my first diesel but i have done alot of reading and looking around to know some stuff and i thank you alot for the info you have been giving me. i know that changing the air intake the intake horn and putting a lift pump on it will give me good mileage plus more power. im not looking to change the intercooler for more power im looking for more mileage and i have found lots of things where it says thats one of the big things its known for. again thanks for all the info

Old 07-29-2012 | 11:38 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

has anyone heard about the Poor man's FASS? I've been reading up on it and it's seems pretty good. Less than $200 for filters and pump.

The pump is a Holley 12-815-1 good for up to 140gph and 15psi.. They can be found on ebay for just over $100....

I've priced it out and I can build a Poor man's FASS for about $200.. anyone else do this or heard of it?

Quick Reply: fass vs. air dog