Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Injectors now Turbo???????

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM
mbierback
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Injectors now Turbo???????

Hey guys I just spent $3,500.00 on brand new injectors as needed, replaced them myself. I wanted some assurance that all was good so I had the dealer complete a cylinder balance test to make sure all was good. That checked out but part of the inspection package was a inspection of the turbo. The tech let me know that there was wobble in the turbo shaft and recommended replacement right away. He has known circumstances that upon failure the turbo will pump oil into the air to air and if there is no power take off shut down installed , "kiss that engine bye bye!
Looks like another $1790.00 for a reman turbo and another weekend shot or at least one night
I am starting to get an education on the Cummins. I am told by the tech at the dealer the best way to remove the turbo is to secure the right front suspension on blocks remove the right front wheel and inner fender skirt and pull the turbo that way. Does anyone have any tricks, recommended sites, or posted you tube videos etc. on Turbo replacement on a third gen 5.9L?

Old 05-25-2012, 03:30 PM
hillbilli
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull one of the tubes off after the turbo and check for oil inside. You can try a turbo rebuild kit. Ive never done it, but ive heard people recommend pulling the turbo out along with the manifold is easier.

Quick Reply: New Injectors now Turbo???????